Fine White Sand (Rio Negro)

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Moss Man, 16 Dec 2007.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Member

For a few of my aquascapes and biotopes I hope to create in the future I want a very fine white powdery sand. It's meant to be a sort of Rio Negro type sand. The ADA catologue has 'Rio Negro Sand' in the substrate section and this is exactly what I'm looking for. Although Aqua essentials don't stock it.

I'm really not looking for the silica/silver/play sand types - a lot finer and lighter.

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know where I can buy such sand?

2. andy

andy Member

You can get sugar fine sand....which is pure white and like dust but i'm not sure if this is meant for marine use and will affect your water conditions.

One downside i found when using this was that it got blown everywhere because it was so fine....even in minimal flow.

3. andy

andy Member

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Sand ... arine.html

2nd one down. Don't know how suitable it'll be for FW

Or go to the 4th one down

OR

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Substrates.html

Go to the bottom

4. Moss Man

Moss Man Member

Thanks for the link andy,

I think the fourth one down on the first link looks quite suitable, although I'm slightly worried that it may have some sort of buffering capacities as it looks as if it is designed for the marine aquarium.

It could still be good for atleats 2 of my tanks:- a brackish water bumble bee goby tank and a brackish water desert goby tank.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. Moss Man

Moss Man Member

I've just e-mailed them, so I just have to wait for a reply...

6. andy

andy Member

Just seen that you're from Kent....well STM are in Sevenoaks. Pop in and have a chat with Jez or Chris....they're pretty nice blokes.

7. Moss Man

Moss Man Member

I just got an e-mail back from them and they said that the sand doesn't buffer the tank at all, in fact Chris told me he had used it with softwater fish.

I've never been to STM as I don't really keep marine fish, but maybe I'll go there later on.

Cheers,
    Mike

8. james3200

james3200 Member