• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Guys, any advice on a non air tight DD Threaded FE? Got a new FE today and tried replacing the thread as normal but no matter how far i get the DD thread it is still not air tight, any suggestions?

I have the DD thread converter on my FE - I use a fibre/resin washer that goes in the end of the thread adapter, although I think you could use a rubber 'O' ring as long as you replace it fairly often when changing over your FE, this should then seal it nicely.

viper3770 said:
I have the DD thread converter on my FE - I use a fibre/resin washer that goes in the end of the thread adapter, although I think you could use a rubber 'O' ring as long as you replace it fairly often when changing over your FE, this should then seal it nicely.

Viper, went to B&Q last night and go the rubber o rings but it still did not create a seal and i even put more than one on. Where can i get the fibre/resin washer?

Cheers

The chap that supplies my FE gave me a couple - they are just what sits between the FE and horn normally. When he supplied my FE's he removed the horns and then gave me a couple of these washers and said probably change it every second time. Mine seems to be sealed up fine with this.

Hi folks, what fitting is it on your FE's? Im looking for a DIN477 for the TMC reg/solo kit but no-one on ebay even seems to know what it is lol..
If anyone knows a place with the fitting pm me please? :)

Many thanks for the guide, much cheaper than most the kits!

i already have a 2kg co2 bottle , but i only have a jbl reg and everyone seems to but a cheaper reg to run these on , is there any chance it will destroy my reg???

Hi all, i'm new to this board, it's a pleasure to meet you all :)

I've been keeping fish for a few years now (1x 200L, couple of 60L's) but this weekend I propose to set up a new 450L tank. I'm going with an FE setup, but the one thing i'm stuck with buying, is a Regulator.

Basically, I am worried I might buy the wrong one. I haven't got loads to spend, and kind of need it here for this weeked (last minute i know) as i've proposed to friends that we will all set it up this weekend! (Would buy from Taiwain etc, but can't wait really :( )

Also, there's lots of "CO2/Argon" regs, and I could probably get a discount on one from a welding supply shop (I work in the safety eyewear business), but once again, I'm worried it could be the wrong one!!

And finally, is it worth getting one with a solenoid?

I've seen a couple of Reg's around, but none of them seem to look like they will take a needle valve, and I also can't seem to find any needle valves?!?

Here's a couple of links, could anyone offer some advice? Thank you all, it would be brilliant if I could get some advice.
Thanks,
Alex.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Argon-CO2-Sin ... 27c23816e6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARGON-CO2-WEL ... 58911e88fd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co2-Regulator ... 19ca6d8441

Alex,

None of those regs will work as Argon/co2 ones dont have the same thread size or shape. They also dont have a needle valve.

This would be ok and has a needle valve built-in and are uk based for fast delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-Aquari ... 27c0cf5d11

There are two reasons to have a solenoid, 1) to reduce co2 loss, as the plants dont need co2 at night so you might as well turn if off. I would think on a 450lt tank this might save you quite a bit of money. 2) it gives the fish a rest from the high co2 levels.

FYI you can retro fit solenoids, so maybe get a base reg now and look at adding a solenoid later if needs be?

Sam

Thank you for your help, that's really appreciated! I will check the link now, and most likely purchase the solenoid in a couple of weeks, as there's going to be no fish in the tank for at least a few weeks to a month, while i get the levels right anyway!

I will let you know how I get on, and post pics - Exciting but scary times, it feels like a big step!

Again that reg doesn't come with a needle valve. The black dial on the side lets you control the pressure in the reg but that wont be fine enough to control the co2 rates you need going into the tank.

You can buy needle valves seperately from here, but its Asia so postage will take weeks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Needle-Va ... 4ceb79411b

Sam

Thanks Sam, I note you use the same? Will see how quickly I can get it, might have to just set the tank up this weekend, then next weekend I can get the Co2 running, I'm sure the plants will be ok for a week (considering i've got a planted tank without Co2, which is fine)?

Just realised they are both the same regs! (The one from Germany and the UK seller)! The logo on the valves appears to be exactly the same! I'll stick with the UK one, Once again I really appreciate all your answers, I'll be in touch with more questions i'm sure in the future.

There are two main types of PTFE the one for gas is alot thicker than the ones used for general plumbing (ie heating and potable water systems)........however i would advise you use a good quality gas paste, as this will not make the threads to tight allowing you to fully tighten it down to compress the o-ring and will not get in the way of the o-ring unless you go a bit crazy with it.
This will be perfectly safe, if your unsure just remember that gas paste is used on gas steel work on anything upto 4", when it gets to that size it's normally a welding job or flanges or both. Washers for flanges also use gas paste.
Hope this helps.

Back