• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Hey Sam,

Just an update.

Got the reg fine (thanks for the link) arrived in perfect time and it's exactly the same as the one from the German Ebay shop, so I'm very pleased.

Got a fluval bubble counter and fluval ceramic diffuser (just because they seemed good value, i'm not particularly a fluval fan), and some check valves which I need to upgrade in the next couple of weeks (They are a bit cheap unfortunately)!

I'll be honest, I was ****ing myself, before pressing the handle! Really hoped things wouldn't go wrong, and it was absoultely perfect, barely a hiss, and a bit of a fiddle, the handle clamped down fine and the reg worked very well to get the BAR to the right pressure. Needle valve seems very good too.

I'm going for about 2 BPS, however this is subject to change, I need to get the levels all checked at the weekend and will probably be adjusting...

The issue i'm a bit confused about, is the actual testing of the water. I have been reading about a 4KpH formula, and mixing it with the reagent in the drop checker, but need to do a bit more swatting, unless you could explain it in a simple format?

Also, subject to the IMG url working, there should be some pics below... Not very good growth at present, but it'll hopefully come along in no time! Need some more low growth/grass type plants.

Cheers for all your advice, really really appreciated!!

Alex.

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

Problem is, how do you get the 4KdH formula? I read about adding baking soda to water, but I think the site was american, so could get the formula very wrong!

Cheers Sam ;)

Will do. I've only got it on 2bps, which I know is less than I should be putting in, it's a 450L after all, and I have alkaline water, so it's going to bring the pH down a little anyways, will get a bottle of the bromo/4KdH at the weekend.

Last question! (Tell me to be quiet if i'm annoying you)...

If there's "not enough" Co2 in the tank, is there a set structure to work out how many bps, or do you do it by trial and error, so, increase to, say 4 bps, and see what happens?

trial and error
set it leave it a couple of hours check drop checker
repeat

until your dc is just on the edge of green/yellow

Hey all, the 4 dKh formula is on it's way. Will follow up and give you feedback when i've got the levels (hopefully) right!

Anyone reccomend any liquid ferts, or will a high quality substrate be enough for 6 months or so?

Cheers :)

The needle on the reg should go to around 50 bar and the other gauge is set using the larger black dial on the front of the reg. I don't think it really matters what you set this to, I just went for 1.5 bar for no reason at all!

I dunno if this has already been answered, but the second gauge is your output pressure.
So one is for the pressure inside the bottle, so you know when it's getting low.
The second is basically what ever you want the output pressure to be, I don't know what the fittings (check valve etc) and nylon tube are rated to but if the pressure out was too high you may blow the fittings off (don't panic....not as serious as it may sound, your FE is not likely to end up in orbit if a fitting fails at 1.5 bar).
If you've had no problems at 1.5 then just leave as it is, if a fitting pops off, lower the output pressure a little.

Hi all i am new to all this and very keen to start co2 i am going to be setting up a 30l fluval ebi soon but want co2 etc sorted first, as its only 30l i want a smallish fire extinguisher what size does anyone recoment ? also anyone know a very good reg for a decent price ?

so i need fire extinguisher, reg with solenoid,gas pipe, thread tape,bubble counter,check valve, difuser

any help would be great thanks Dean

thanks a lot sam that looks very helpful, seen a small fire extinguisher at work today it was 1kg are the threads etc different ? also if i buy solenoid and regulater is there any you recomend and could i use small disposable bottles and then in future use f/e but keep same reg + solenoid, any you recomend ?

thanks again Dean

The threads may be different, for example the one I am currently building has a 5/8" BSP thread, only way to tell is to remove the horn and very carefully measure the external diameter of the thread or the internal diameter of the nut, also pictures may help.
You may also be able to find out the thread type on a manufacturers website, or by calling them.
Another method would be to take it to plumbing merchant and ask if they have anything to fit it, you can take either the horn or the FE.
If you can precisely measure the external diameter of the thread I'll be able to help you find out what it is.
Try and use a metal ruler as tape measures can be misleading especially if they are old, if you have to use a tape measure avoid using the metal bit on the end......unless it's newish.
If the FE is an old one like mine it's likely to be imperial if it's pretty new it'll most likely be metric.
Hope this helps.
I'll leave the regulator bit to one of our site pros.

I've not seen a 1kg FE before, so cant help.

You used to be able to get a convertor to go from disposable cylinders to Fe's, but its becoming much harder to find and Im not sure it anyone is making it now. If you can find one, then yes if you got the disposable system you could always upgrade it to Fe's later. Thats what I've done with my disposable kit.

For regs, I'd always recommend the german one on ebay here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Doppelman ... 2ea52da877

And they do a solenoid as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profi-CO2-Nac ... 2eb82b625f

But there a many on ebay from Asia that are said to be good and most come with a solenoid built in. It is of course assuming you go straight for FE's. You'd need a disposable cylinder reg if you went that route first.

Sam

Back