• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

thats great advise i will see if can get hold of a small fe first and keep u posted thanks again

dean

Maybe a very silly question...

My reg and solenoid arrived so was going to have a go at it this afternoon.

But either I am being dumb or the solenoid came with an "extra" bit. So just wanted to make sure before I start taking parts off ;)

Reg:
ZcQH4.jpg

Solenoid:
pNydn.jpg

To get it to fit, I took off this bit and it ends up looking like this (note the extra bit on the side):

0Z2fX.jpg

Does this look like it should be like this? :) (it went into the "grey" bit on the left side looking at photo 1)

i have a fire extinguisher like this,, can i use the simple regulators on it?
what is the cheapest regulator i can buy on ebay?

Yeah there's no reason why you can't do it.
You'll need the following:
- a CO2 regulator (preferably with a flow valve, if not then simply get a flow valve) - dual stage regs are better than single stage.
- a bubble counter
- a check valve
- a diffuser
- some nylon tubing
- You may also need PTFE thread tape and some soapy water to test for leaks (good old fairy liquid does a good job).

You'll need to know the thread size of your fire extinguisher first, then search for CO2 regulators on ebay.

You could providing the thread size on the extinguisher matches that of the valve.
Personally tho I wouldn't recommend it as if that gauge is for your output pressure, you'll have no way of knowing when the extinguisher is getting low or is actually empty.
I would highly recommend a dual gauge valve, one that shows internal bottle pressure and your output pressure. Not only so you can see when it's ready for a top up but also for your own safety.
I would consider to be the least you should get;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co2-Regul...ultDomain_3&hash=item19ca6d8441#ht_500wt_1180

There may well be other cheaper ones, I don't know all the of the available brands/types, but in my opinion this is entry level, it shows bottle and output pressure and you can attach a flow valve.

Take the flow valve into account when looking, you can get them with one already on or you can buy it separately, either way you need both.

This has probably been asked before but there are a lot of pages to scan so can I ask, what do you do when the extinguisher is empty? Can it be refilled easily/cheaply?

You take your empty extinguisher to local company who will swap it out for a new one for £10-£20 depending who you go to.

Porksword said:
You could providing the thread size on the extinguisher matches that of the valve.
Personally tho I wouldn't recommend it as if that gauge is for your output pressure, you'll have no way of knowing when the extinguisher is getting low or is actually empty.
I would highly recommend a dual gauge valve, one that shows internal bottle pressure and your output pressure. Not only so you can see when it's ready for a top up but also for your own safety.
I would consider to be the least you should get;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co2-Regul...ultDomain_3&hash=item19ca6d8441#ht_500wt_1180

There may well be other cheaper ones, I don't know all the of the available brands/types, but in my opinion this is entry level, it shows bottle and output pressure and you can attach a flow valve.

Take the flow valve into account when looking, you can get them with one already on or you can buy it separately, either way you need both.

I dont mind for now if the reg doesnt have a manometer,,am low on budget,want to use those cheap regulators and i want to know if anyone here have ever used these type of simple regulators so i can get a feedback...
i have never used any pressurized system before..

Aqua sobriquet said:
This has probably been asked before but there are a lot of pages to scan so can I ask, what do you do when the extinguisher is empty? Can it be refilled easily/cheaply?
There's a list/map of places which do refills here http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4612 let me know in that thread if you find anything out of date. :)

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Maybe if I sprayed it all, refilled it with just CO2.. then emptied it again?

Kris

Kris I think that would be REALLY unwise mate. Powder will have coated the inside of the FE and will be pretty hard to dislodge because of its nature. No amount of cleaning would eradicate the powder completely; and do you honestly want to risk that stuff being introduced to your aquarium by CO2 injection ? Pick yourself up a cheap CO2 FE mate. If someone has given you the powder one and you are thinking its a way to save money, it would be false economy. You could even sell the powder one on fleabay to contribute towards the right thing (which you ought to be able to pick up for peanuts).

Okay guys :)
I'll take your advice then, I won't use it. I will try to sell it and get money for just a CO2 FE!

Thanks for putting me straight :D

Kris

Back