• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Hey, Thanks to this thread and comprehensive set up guides I have decided to go with a FE co2 with a dual gauge Regulator. Just wanted to check a couple of things before I set it up tomorrow. I have heard mixed things about using PTFE (teflon tape). Pretty unanimous on don't use it on the Regulator-to-FE thread... But what about the other threads, such as the solenoid or gauge threads?

Also, since it's not a wheel-type valve tap as on a normal co2 tank, do you have to be particularly careful when depressing the lever so you don't blow out the gauges on the reg? Also what is an ideal working pressure and should this be increased gradually after attachment instead of being set to full output pressure from the start?

Thanks,

James

My reg came with instructions to have the needle valve fully open and the solenoid turned on (open), before slowly releasing the pressure into the reg to avoid damage

My reg came with instructions to have the needle valve fully open and the solenoid turned on (open), before slowly releasing the pressure into the reg to avoid damage

Really!?! :eek: That goes against every guide I've read about setting up a co2 regulator which always say have the solenoid off and the valve closed when you attach it.

Also, I wanna know if it's possible to use some kind of 90 degree elbow fitting so me reg will be the right way up? Anyone used one before or know where to get one?

THanks

Could anyone confirm this as I'm about to open the gas and don't wanna blow up my reg before I even start :D

Could anyone confirm this as I'm about to open the gas and don't wanna blow up my reg before I even start :D
I just connected up my regulator, closed needle valve and depressed FE handle. Short hiss as is pressurised then nothing. Did it all in the garage where I could get proper spanner access to the regulator tightening nut.

Connected solenoid to mains, opened needle valve and out came CO2.

I held the handle down with a cable tie.

^^ Nice One!

Still hunting for an "elbow" though, I've seen one on ebay but I'm not really sure whether to trust it with gas fittings. Might go down to the plumbing supply store and see what they say

OK so it's all set up and solenoid seems to be working well. Except the first time I turned it on the low pressure gauge dropped from about 60psi to just below 40, where it is staying now. Does this sound right. Also, I wanna do a leak test but not sure how I can do one without turning the FE on its side, I've heard that's a bad idea. Appreciate any help thanks

Get some soapy water on all the joints or put soapy water in a spray bottle and give it a spray. Mind the solenoid though
Ant

cheers, could I just take the solenoid off? or is that unwise when it's connected to the FE?

Thanks people, all set up now and pretty sure there are no leaks, gonna go and buy some gas leak fluid tomorrow from screw fix just to be sure.

Here it is set up:

20130307_220339_zps6717e733.jpg

Here's a shot of the gauges (excuse the crappy camera):

20130307_232527_zps5011d6ba.jpg

Does the pressure seem right to you? When I plugged in the solenoid the pressure dropped from around 50-60psi to where it is now, just over 30. It stays like that with solenoid on or off and seems pretty stable. Is this right?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks a lot really appreciate the help

Ok guys sorry for all the paranoid questions above, it all seems to be going well. I would remove some if it would let me :angelic: . All I did was to stop the co2 from the FE overnight and left the reg pressured to note any changes. The only change is a slight creep from 32 psi to about 38psi when the solenoid is off.

My only worry now (believe it or not) is that the high pressure gauge only reads 650. Does this indicate that the refurbishment didn't fill up the FE all the way or a problem with the gauge? It stays at the same pressure all night so no leaks.

My only worry now (believe it or not) is that the high pressure gauge only reads 650
Its normal to stay at this pressure, all my bottles hover around this value.

OK so after a fair bit of research etc. I have come across this chart which I found pretty helpful so am posting it for others who might find it useful. It details the co2 pressure-temperature relationship and also explains why we only notice a change in the high pressure gauge when there is about 10-15% of the tank left. I believe this is why my FE is reading at 650 and drops by 2 or 3 psi at night and goes back up in the day, since it is flippin cold in my room. doh!

co2pv.gif

Interesting. Pressure does stay fairly constant until nearly empty.
Mine stays the same for 9-10 months and then when the pressure starts moving I know I have about 2 weeks left to get another bottle ;)

Back