• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

I did what you suggested and put the end into a glass of water, I didnt see any bubbles coming out. I gave the solenoid a turn to make sure it was tight in place and as i spun it gave out a hiss.

So thinking it could be a dodgy solenoid now. Its a co2 supermarket regulator and the solenoid fixes onto a brass tube on the back of the reg so not sure if I can replace it with another solenoid?

Found the leak then, that's good news. Bad news need to fix it.

Looking at the pictures of my CO2supermarket regulator the solenoid is bolted onto the regulator. You may just be able to tighten it up or even unscrew is and put PTFE tape on the thread.

It is but i got it direct from HK. I'd have to send it back before they sent out a new one which means i'll be with out co2 for a month.

Thinking of just getting another reg. Seen this one which is made in England, dont know if its worth buying cheap again or just bite the bullet and get a decent branded reg? but I dont know whats good.

Dual Gauged Aquarium CO2 Regulator DIN477 | eBay

I need to get an elbow joint for my FE to Regulator as the Bubble counter isn't vertical. Can anyone recommend where to get a suitable one?

Visit your local fire extinguisher retailer and ask if they have old filled bottles that you can buy from them.
My local store has them plenty and got them for free. I explained that it was for my aquarium and they had no problem with it.
They are all just a little bit over the expiry date and have no rust on them. You can fill your Co2 bottles there also usually.

The bigger the better as 99% of the time it works out cheaper but you can use any size you wish, I think im right to say that most members use 2kg co2 fire extinguishers as there cost effective and easily available

Mark

I did think that when dan told me, luckily for me dan pays that from air products. when i get pressurised I'll be buying 5kg pub gas and finding a cheaper place to get it filled. BOC, Air products, and Energas all have a tendancy to "pull your pants down" on price which is why hobby welders tend not to use them

I nabbed 8 2kg FE bottles on ebay for £70 - that's me sorted for a couple of years at least.

I nabbed 8 2kg FE bottles on ebay for £70 - that's me sorted for a couple of years at least.
I've got another mate who works for a big builders every now and then he comes across out of date ones which I've asked him to save for me for free. I know someone else that gets them but he likes to make a tenner each.
these are the cheapest ways to get refils

Hi, I'm about to set up my FE and I'm just wondering if it can be put on its side or should it be vertical? I'd just feel safer it being flat :)

Doesn't really matter, upside down would in fact be best so it draws gas rather than liquid, but in the end most people operate them standing right way up, with absolutely no issues...

Just wondering where is best to put a check valve if I'm not going to use a bubble counter? Logic says as close to the diffuser as possible. Can I put it in the tank? If not, should it still be as close to the tank as possible? (thinking the bend around the top of the tank may cause extra stress on the connections...)

I suppose the problem is I don't know what I'm fighting against: will the tube fill up with water over night and be purged when the gas flows, or will it just always be a bit damp? If It's going to be purged by the gas then it shouldn't really matter, but if there's always going to be water present, I won't want that sitting in my tube.

Thanks

Hi all, I' m now looking at purchasing a 2kg extinguisher, but one place I contacted, the only reply as of yet, has said that for my purposes it isn't worth buying a brand new one as it will need the dip tube removing. They're asking £45 + vat for a refurbed canister, dip tube removed, full of gas, is this about right?

Thats expensive mate, check out ebay if you cant find cheaper locally, I got a referbished 2kg delivered for £19

Back