• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

Interesting article I have a 3kg cylinder in an nice grey colour
I think the red fe would be too distracting mine kind of hides itself behind my filter
In the corner.
image.jpg

In France for 5 euros i have 2 kg of CO2, i'm using 11 yo FE without any trouble, working like a charm, cheapest way to get CO2, at first i tought it would explode, but it's not really possible, working pressure is 64 bar, but the head can support 250...

In case people don't know, never engage FE without regulator, if the FE is full and the original black plastic thing is off, you'll be dead, the pressure is so strong that you'll be found 20-50 meters away (really) . Knowing that i still use 5KG FE, i take extra protection.

Due to the temperature, never use it lay down, the reg will be frozen, you can use it slighty bend without issue. That's because the co2 is in liquid stage. i've not read every page, hope would help someone =)

Due to the temperature, never use it lay down, the reg will be frozen, you can use it slighty bend without issue. That's because the co2 is in liquid stage.
Not true. The amount of CO2 we use in the aquarium is so small their is no chance of the regulator freezing, I ran my FE laying down horizontal on a magazine rack beside the tank for years with no issue.

Hi !

Freezing occurs when CO2 is released during its "normal" use: the valve is wide opened and the delta pressure/flow leads to a huge drop of the temperature.
The way we use it, whith a regulator, and with very very low flow is safe, no freezing expected :), even if bent or horizontal :)

Not true. The amount of CO2 we use in the aquarium is so small their is no chance of the regulator freezing, I ran my FE laying down horizontal on a magazine rack beside the tank for years with no issue.
my bad, since there is a tube that go down to the liquid , if you lay it down, it's supposed to ran off faster ? I don't know if the liquid inside the FE can go to the regulator, maybe not because of the pressure above ?
Hi !

Freezing occurs when CO2 is released during its "normal" use: the valve is wide opened and the delta pressure/flow leads to a huge drop of the temperature.
The way we use it, whith a regulator, and with very very low flow is safe, no freezing expected :), even if bent or horizontal :)
I've seen so much accident with FE, never in aquarium hobby though. My advice to not use it without the black plastic is still accurate though. But you're right guys, wasn't thinking about the quantity

Last edited:
My advice to not use it without the black plastic is still accurate though.
Hi ! what do you mean by "black plastic thing" ? you mean the black horn ? But when you connect it to a regulator, you have to remove the horn (and I agree it is very dangerous to fire an FE which is not connected to a regulator without the horn)

Hi ! what do you mean by "black plastic thing" ? you mean the black horn ? But when you connect it to a regulator, you have to remove the horn (and I agree it is very dangerous to fire an FE which is not connected to a regulator without the horn)
English is still hard for me, yes that what i tried to explain, it's important to not arm the FE before the regulator is in place. There is some crazy accident with some people when there is a fire, they stress and think that the black horn need to be removed.

I just had a FE refilled locally, he asked what it was for and I said aquarium so he said he would remove the sython tube and said it should last longer?!
I don’t know if that’s true or not due to the small amounts we use and it turns to gas before the regulator but we’ll see after my current FE runs out.

On a plus side, I keep the spare in the garage filled ready to use in the aquarium or worse case in a fire!

Back