Fire Extinguisher Refills in Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by racoll, 21 May 2008.

1. racoll

racoll Newly Registered

Apologies if this has been answered before, but does anyone know a good FE refill centre in Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire?

Thanks.

2. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

3. racoll

racoll Newly Registered

Thanks Dan, but I couldn't find anywhere in there.

Is it best to get this post moved into the "Where to buy" forum?

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Ive not found one around Oxford, so if you do let me know! If you dont mind a large cylinder, then this is a good place

If you get an old cylinder off ebay then its just the cost of a refill ;)

Sam

5. racoll

racoll Newly Registered

Thanks Sam. :D

I already have two FEs, one empty and one running.

£30 sounds a bit steep for a refill, seeing as the FE cost less than that!

I wonder, are there any companies where you can just post them empty cylinder and they return it full?, although perhaps that would work out expensive too...

6. Graham

Graham Newly Registered

Re: Dave Spencer reply. Cylinder service/refill.
    I had a pub cylinder that I wanted refilled. I went to a small fire extinguisher business and I was told the cylinder was out of test date. The guy changed the cylinder (in one in date) and refilled it for £20

You need to shop around

Good luck

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Racoll - the £30 refill is to fill a 83cm 12lb cylinder! not a 2kg FE :) so its works out very cheap in comparison, if you can find a way of hiding such a large cylinder!

Sam

8. bigruss

bigruss Newly Registered

Morning all,
    Sorry to "hijack " thread but I too am struggling to get co2 extinguishers refilled in Bedfordshire, if anyone knows of a place please let me know.

My main question is does anyone have any experiance of keeping a large pub stlye cylinder/aquarium regulator outside then piping the co2 into the aquarium inside ? The reason I ask is that my aquarium is positioned against an external wall in the living room and it would be quite easy to drill a small hole through for a length of co2 hose and them "store" the co2 cylinder outside. I could make a wooden "enclosure" for the cylinder to help protect it if necessary but wondered whether the regulator would be ok in winter i.e. would it freeze up?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiances from your vastly superior combined knowledge.

Many thanks in advance,
    Russ

9. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

My only thought would be the change in temperatures that occurs outside. As the temp changes so the pressure in the cylinder will change (or so I would think) and that could affect the bubble rate = potential for gassing the fish.

Sam

10. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

youre correct in assuming tank pressure will change based on ambient temperatue.. but this wont effect co2 delivery as the regulator reduces pressure to the operating pressure regardless of what the tank pressure is. Hence then name regulator :)