• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire Extinguisher versus Kit

garlem

Seedling
Ok Read most of the threads but is there an advantage in using aquarium kits over DIY Fire Extinguisher solution? Does the kit forms CO2 last longer? All the threads seem to suggest a 2kg FE will last approx 2-3 mths???

It's not so much the fire extinguisher lasts longer etc. The fire extinguisher has more in it of course and is not labelled aquarium so costs less.

The advantages of sourcing your own components compared to buying a kit is that firstly it is much cheaper. Secondly you rarely get the best quality of each component in a kit whereas if you source you can choose what you want by sourcing yourself.

So in summary sourcing is cheaper and more than likely a better quality all round.

For example

Kit A costs £150 but has small refillables. It will work on fire extinguishers though, however people have had trouble with the regs

Kit B costs £200 but doesn't have a very good diffuser/reactor

Kit C costs £250 - Why spend £250

Sourced can cost £80-£120 and you can buy a bit from here and bit from there etc ensuring from reading other people's opinions on each make of each component that you get ALL quality parts.

AC

Purely down to costs i think....a full 2kg bottle from JBL costs upwards of £150, a 2kg fire extinguisher cost £15 !!!

The length of use from aCO2 will be estimates and depends on the size of the tank. but either way a 500g bottle to a 2kg FE is always going to run out quicker. Also the FE comes as a 5KG option if you have room.

Then as said you can buy what you want in the kit. not what the kit gives you.

if your really lucky you can get FE's for free from some companies that clear out offices.

~Thanks for the replies .. seems FE's are the way to go !

Cheers

Of course it doesn't have to be FEs either for the pressurised gas, I use pub bottles as the refills are cheaper than the FEs and they also give me more being a much bigger bottle.

Back