• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguishers

marley

Seedling
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm looking at moving away from the yeast co2 that I am currently using as I'm sick of changing the canisters every few days and it can get a bit messy.

I think I'm going to go down the FE route and have been looking at getting the regulator with solinoid from co2 art but was hoping somebody could recommend a good place to pick up a cheap 2kg FE either mail order or in the Southampton/Portsmouth area.

Thanks in advance Andy

Hi Marley,
The cheapest I found was on ebay, 2×2kg FE for £56 including shipping. The seller is called globe packaging.
Maybe someone might know a cheaper option, and I would love to know too ☺
Cheers,
Manu

Thanks I'll take a look at that, I suppose unless I can find a local supplier buying a couple would be the most cost effective option as the postage must be quite expensive. I've seen them in places like machine mart but they're the best part of £50 each.

Look on eBay for used ones. I found a guy in High Wycome who sold me 4 x 2kg fe for £24.

he gets a lot, so if you want his details let me know b

That sounds good, it would probably be worth the drive if I could get four for that sort of price. Are they un-fired but out of date, so no good for safety use but ok for the fish?

Got hold of a few fire extinguishers yesterday and I've set one up using a regulator with solinoid from co2 art. Set up in time for lights on yesterday running at 2 bubbles per second and drop checker stayed in the green until lights out. I have the regulator plugged into the same timer as the lights but was wondering if I should have the co2 in for longer as I don't want the ph to get to high while the lights are off. My tap water is hard and I have fish such as Rams who like soft water so when I had the yeast co2 running 24/7 the ph stayed at about 6.8-7.0 any recommendations?

You want green drop checker everywhere in the tank at lights on when the plants will require it. So you must put CO2 on about 2hours before the lights come on depending how successful your CO2 injection method is. You can turn CO2 off about an hour before lights go off.

This ^^
Re the Rams and soft water.
I'm sure there's lot of forum threads on this,
the co2 will lower the PH but won't remove the mineral content,that makes your water hard.
So when you sort the co2 ,your water will have a lower PH (whilst gas is on) , but hard water.
In my limited experience with Rams,they are more concerned with water hardness than PH value.

Ok I'll try to set the regulator up on a separate timer to come on a couple of hours before the lights and keep an eye on the drop checker. I'll move the drop checker around the tank a bit, does it take a while for the colour to change if I move it to a different part of the tank?

Yes drop checker changing can be as short as 1/2 to even 2hours. So really can only be moved once per CO2 period.

Back