• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguishers

Fisher2007

Quick question re fire extinguishers if I can please.....

So first off, I've used CO2 but will be doing in my new 200 litre tank. Right now I have a full 2kg fire extinguishers (out of date) that I was given but I've been looking into what to do once this is empty. Looking on Ebay there is a place not far from me that sell the same extinguishers (again out of date) for £12 each, which seems reasonable. The question is though, what do people do with the empty ones? I'm guessing they cannot be refilled, without some sort of test, which is probably expensive. Is it false economy and or a lot of messing around to buy an out of date one? Or should I buy one that is in within its service life and try and get this refilled instead?

Thanks

I give my empty FE's back to the place that supplied them. If in date they may refill, but if out of date they destroy as it is too expensive to retest.

They just give me refilled ones.

Some council tips will take empty gas cylinders, most don't, so you need to check if you are going to dispose of this way.

I went to a local supplier of gas got a purchased a lifetime contract for a 6.5Kg cylinder for £70 full, and for refill/exchange it's about £18.
I do have a couple of FE that was outdated from work for spares but haven't emptied one yet so not sure what to do. I would take it to the tip and see if they would recycle it :angelic:

Edit- Ian gave the answer :thumbup:

Thanks guys. I've just had a look and my local tips don't accept them. What the hell do you do with these things in that case....?

Back