• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire red shrimp deaths

MJQMJQ

So far deaths have stopped but Im curious to know the reason.About two months ago I bought 10 fire reds and abt half of them died over a period of four days or so.About one month later I bought another bag of ten fire reds but about half of them too died over a period of a week then the deaths stopped.This tank is already cycled but was cleaned out before due to micrococci causing the deaths of all but one shrimp which was a baby but is now an adult together with a resident sulawesi snail. From what I know, ammonia poisoning kills them(all) in under a day because I had foolishly dumped them in before tank was fully cycled.Not sure about nitrite poisoning.For now I suspect that they might have been weak and stressed when I bought them.The stock is from Malaysia which might have caused shock due to difference in water parameters.Also, I just dumped the shrimps in without acclimation.Temperature is more or less the same so its not an issue.Now I have seven shrimps left and 30-40 baby shrimps which is less than what I expected. Im planning to keep CRS but am so not ready to repeat the same mistake because they are pricier and i need a chiller for CRS which is the most expensive thing ever(looking at secondhand ones heard they can easily last 7-10 years).

Hi MJ----my friend you say you're curious about deaths----and you add that "you foolishly dumped them in before the tank was cycled", and that you " dumped them in without acclimation ".
My friend, be curious no more !

Nope hahaha that was the very first time when i kept them i dumped in before tank was cycled.Although i did not bother to acclimatise this time lol.

Back