'fire the fe": what does it mean? and other questions :)

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by jarthel, 23 Dec 2009.

1. jarthel

jarthel Member

I have been reading the tutorial on using fire extinguishers and I got lost when reading the section on "firing the fe". How do I do this step? searching the forums/net was fruitless.

I am assuming that "firing the fe" could be as simple as pressing/squeezing the levers. but since the term "fire the fe" was used, I'm not so sure if my understanding is right.

off-topic questions :)

1. How do I checked for leaks if the solenoid is built into the regulator?
    2. The tank that I got has lots of teflon tape to seal the nozzle. Do you think I need teflon tape as well? I know that in the FE tutorial, several people has mentioned not to use teflon tape as it prevent the O-ring from doing its job.

Thank you very much

2. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Member

you are correct, "fire the fe" means fire the fire extinguisher, when you squeeze the handle :)

i have loads of teflon tape on my nozzle too, but i didnt use any when i screwed on the regulator.

3. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi jarthel
    Grab some soapy water and apply it to all the joints using a paintbrush or something similar. If you see new bubbles forming, you have a leak :( . Just steer clear of the electric solenoid housing :D .
    You shouldn't need any additional Teflon tape for your installation :D .

Chris

4. jarthel

jarthel Member

do you mean I can reuse whatever teflon that is already there? or completely remove the tape and screw regulator with teflon tape?

thanks again

5. jarthel

jarthel Member

thanks for clarification :)

I guess I could try without teflon tape and see if there leaks.

thank you

6. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Hi jarthel

If you are talking about connecting the regulator to the CO2 cylinder, then as long as there is an 'O' ring, you will not need any additional Teflon tape :D .

Chris

7. jarthel

jarthel Member

thanks everyone :)

------------

fyi: I had to use a nipple fitting (http://www.philmac.com.au/Product/Produ ... aspx?c=325) so I can connect the regulator to the FE. I had to use teflon tape on the fitting (fe-side) to seal it. No tape was required on the regulator-side. :)