• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Aquascape Advice Please

Bopowarls

Hi everyone.

I'm about to start my first aquascape project but I'm struggling to get my head around a few bits so some advice would be appreciated. I've taken on some advice already from previous posts so thanks again for that.

Tank: Fluval Edge 2.0 23l

Style: Iwagumi

Lighting - Standard LEDs on the edge. Possibly convert to the 42l set up or buy an additional stretch strip. Will see how things go with the standard lighting first.

Substrate - I was hoping to go ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Powder but its sold out everywhere online. Not sure what to go with now. Looking at possibly the tropica stuff or maybe Seachem flourite powder. If I went with Seachem flourite would I need to put in any other additives as I know ADA aquasoil is quite nutrient rich and I was going to use power sand with it.

Hardscape - Manten stones

Plants - Monte Carlo carpet nothing else

Co2 - I want to keep this project as simple as possible so have decided to go down the liquid easy carbo route and see how I get on.

Fertilizers - This where I'm at a stump. Not sure whether to go the dry powder route or just buy all-in-one liquid fertalisers. Advice here would be helpful.

Livestock - eventually i'm hoping to get some shrimp in possibly some neon tetra but I've not done enough research on fish yet.

The only other bit I'm a bit confused about is chemical testing. I need to do a bit of research but Iive seen both articles saying to use test kits and other saying not too as they aren't that accurate.

This is my plan on how I'm going to get it all set up. I'm pretty sure there are blanks in it so again advice would be appreciated.

1. put in substrate and any additives that may be required
2. set my hardscape (I will clean the stones before hand)
3. Dampen the substrate and then plant the monte carlo
4. fill the tank using conditioned tap water. The fluval edge come with water conditioner. Will that be ok or should I be testing my tap water and using appropriate conditioner for my water?
5. Plan was to add fertaliser and Easy Carbo dosing at a daily rate
6. Not sure what hours to have lighting on so will just wing it and see how it gets on. The fluval doesn't come with a timer for the lights.
7. I plan to do a daily 50% water change for the first few weeks and then once a week once established.
8. This next bit I'm really unsure about. Getting to the point of being able to add live stock. So I'm aware that the conditions (chemical levels) need to be right for the specific livestock I'm going to add but how am I supposed to check if the conditions are ok for fish if people advise not to use test kits?
9. How often should I be cleaning the filter?

I may have missed some important bits so pointing these out to me would be good. I am a complete newbie and am trying to digest all the information I've read over the past few weeks but its seems that everyone has their own ideas on whats 'best'.

A couple of thoughts -

- carpet iwagumi is tricky and not the easiest for your 1st aquascape. Think about an iwagumi but also with other plants, stems, crypts etc. Smaller amount of carpet. The increased plant mass will help eat nutrients and provide more interest and more experience for you.

- very hard to grow a carpet without injecting gas co2. If you are looking for that lush tight growth it is soooooo much easier with full co2.

- lighting, defo get a timer.

- ferts. Upto you. Initially I’d suggest start with a complete liquid fertiliser (EA Aquascaper is good with excellent instructions). Cost will be negligible on your sized tank.
One less thing to think about and could always change to EI dry ferts later on.

Hope that helps.

i tried several carpets that some were ok but never a wow until I added c02 then it took off .
Made a believer out of me

Bopowarls

Your plan is certainly going to help.
Aquascaping Style: Iwagumi
This would be one of the most difficult Aquascapes to do it correctly. If you are new to Aquascaping its going to be even more difficult.
My suggestion would be do a lot of research on what inspires you plus you can buy all the necessary hardscape materials.

Next make a mock tank and have a lot of fun to get the best you can working with the materials you have.

0A%20A%20Box%20Aquascape%20mock%20Tank%20_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::wave:

Hi Bopowarls
There are few points for U
1.While the Fluval Edge is modern looking bit of kit it is a little unsuitable for the Iwagimi Aquascape.The light spread is not good and U will struggle to get carpet going arround the outer parts of the tank .Probably par levels will be low too.
2.I will definitely opt for Tropica soil if ADA is unable .Its a great product and will make your life much easier. While not as nutrient rich as the ADA soil still has good CEC and grows plants like a charm.U can just sprinkle some osmocote granules on bottom of the tank before putting the soil in.That will give you nutrient boost for about 4-6 months but will take longer for the tank to be livestock ready.No other additives needed.
3.Take your time with the hardscape.Post a lot of pics on here so members can chip in and help U out.
4.Consider dry start for the monte carlo.It will give U idea if it is going to work as planned.If it takes off and U happy flood the tank and carry on as planned.If not choose option B with different plants.I have 20l shrimp tank with Riccardia growing rampant with NO ferts and CO2 or LC in it. Why not have a Riccardia carpet instead MC.
5.I will not put fish in the tank.Its too small.Stick with shrimp as they add very little bioload.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
yes the key is good substrate.
I tried all the cheap ways and end up costing me in the long run a lot more

Back