• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First aquascape- The Nano

flyingfish

Hi Guys,
Just started up my first proper aquascape, aiming for a nice peaceful iwagumi style.
Here's the geeky info for you all, feel free to ask for any more info.

Started: 16/5/2011.
Size: 30*20*20cm
Lighting: Boyu T5 8w x 3
Filtration: Boyu HOB and small internal
Heating: None
Substrat: Colombo Flora Grow normal and topped with fine
Fertilizer: TPN+ 0.5ml (daily)
CO2: Colombo nano kit
Hardscape: Mini Landscape rock (3kg)
Plants: Eleocharis Parvula, Eleocharis Acicularis,

Can someone tell me how to post pictures up please?

Cheers,

FlyingFish!

Sounds Good
Pix: Use Photobucket or If wanting an easier option Imageshack. Follow instructions very easy to use either one.

Good start with some of the kit listed.

Only problem I can see is the nano co2 kits there mega bucks to run, unless you have it on say 1bubble every3seconds?

Good luck cracking the iwagumi

hi nayr88,

its only a 12l tank so im thinking of running it on 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds.

Tank just been planted tonight and it looks great really pleased with it, just look for a nice plant for the background now. Will upload a full portfolio of photos tomorrow when water clears up.

Nooo How dare you make a journal with no pictures! Will be back tomorrow to see them :D

I'm using E.parva too very nice plant once it gets going! your Co2 sound's about right you dont need much to keep the plants happy!

Shaping the substrate:
flyingfish04

Finished scape:
flyingfish04

Hope the pics have worked!

feedback please,

also the small internal is only for initial setup for maximum flow.

wow this is popular ;)

Any feedback on the scape?

Also how much fertiliser should i be dosing of my TPN+ daily? im currently doing 50% water changes daily for the first week with 0.5ml added everytime.

Cheers

sorry - was going to post on this earlier but got called away! The rocks are gorgeous, but they might disappear a bit when the grasses grow in as they lay a bit low. This isn't such a problem as you can always change the plants. The other thing i've learnt is that a steeply sloping substrate works wonders in nano tanks - next one you do put a MASSIVE slope on it and see what a huge difference it makes! I'm always a bit fert heavy so i'd be tempted to up the dosing a little, particularly with daily water changes, but if plants are healthy why worry! Hope this helps, Matt

Cheers Matt,

I did try to add a slope but it kinda got lost in the planting and placing the hardscape. Next time it wil be huge!

I'm gonna up the dosing to 1ml daily of TPN+, any advice on increasing the 'greenness' of the plants?

Flyingfish

plants look great today! much greener, only thing is i keep uprooting them during the water changes but a few little runners can be seen.

PH: 7
Ammonia: 0

Should i stop daily water changes yet as its been set up since monday or carry on for the next week?

Good start mate, and all the kit to make sure this matures into a really decent little tank.

The rock layout is pretty basic, but I'm sure once grown in it'll looks good.
Shrimp it :D

Be abit more careful with water changes uprooting and replanting in my experience causes crushing and mudding of the substrate and that's sucks

i'll be using that then from now on matt. YES!! Shrimping it up baby!! Added a baby cherry shrimp tonight from my edge tank, hes doing good loving the algae on the rocks of what there is of it. Going to go for about 10-15 cherry's but not sure when to add them as ive been taking water test for ph and ammonia daily and ammonia has been 0 the whole time. Filter media is mature but i think i might leave it another week because then plants can have maximum fets and Co2.

Might change the internal for a hydor nano 900 or a dennerle nano corner filter as the filter is pretty tall and has to go side ways in the tank.

Also going to start doing 0.5ml of seachem iron and 0.5ml of AE liquid carbon to keep plants a healthy green.

FlyingFish!

Whahooooo :) haha shrimping lol

I'd wait a little while before adding you batch of shrimp for sure.

Back