• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First aquascape

rca.myworld

Hi All,

I accidentally started this hobby in June when I bought an Aquazone 28 litres tank for my children. Ironically I get more attached to it and start spending more and more time. So in July, I decided to buy a Superfish home 80 tank. So here is the fist aquascape. This is a low tech tank so there is no CO2 and I'm not using any other light then the light provided with the aquarium.

Here are the details:
JBL Volcano mineral
Tropica soil powder
JBL Florapol long term substrate concentrate
Seriyu stone
Superfish aqua-flow 300 internal filter
Allponds solution Airpump (180 L/H)
WiFi Smart Powerstrip

I started with the hardscape first. Because I am a rookie so didn't get enough rocks and had to contain the ones that I already bought. I tried to see what I can do with it
IMG_20200726_115914.jpg

IMG_20200726_120716.jpg
IMG_20200726_095825.jpg

Eventually decided to go for last one.

Here is the list of plants:
  1. Marsilea Hirsuta
  2. Hemianthus Cuba
  3. Alternanthera reinekii mini
  4. Rotala Macranda
  5. Hydrocotyle verticillata
  6. Cryptocoryne balansae
  7. Cryptocoryne undulatus Red
  8. Rotala Wallichi
  9. Limnophila sessiliflora
  10. Microsorum Pteropus Narrow leaf
  11. Vesicularis Weeping moss
  12. Taxiphyllum Taiwan moss
  13. Eleocharis acicularis Mini
  14. Marsilea Crenata
  15. Vallisneria Nana
Cheers

I couldn't take any pictures while I potted the plant.
Here are some pictures.

IMG_20200727_190149.jpg
IMG_20200729_140714.jpg

I then run this without any fish for 2 weeks at least. To jump-start this, I used the water from Aquazone 28 aquarium and used sponge. I had to be quick because that aquarium is overloaded with 6 frys and 8-9 big fish. I then went to my local P@H and have them tested the water.

Put the fist in after getting OK signal from P@H. Unfortunately, I only took pictures with blue lighting :)

IMG_20200804_203037 (2).jpg

In the last photo, on the right is an unnecessary void against the wall. I would straighten the high "mountain" of stones and turn to the left. The space between the left and right stones looks incomplete. :)

behind the pile of stones on the right, you could hide the filter. And do not push stones so close to the front wall of the aquarium :)

In the last photo, on the right is an unnecessary void against the wall. I would straighten the high "mountain" of stones and turn to the left. The space between the left and right stones looks incomplete. :)

behind the pile of stones on the right, you could hide the filter. And do not push stones so close to the front wall of the aquarium :)

It's all done already, unfortunately. This is another rookie mistake. I should have posted pictures here with the hardscape first and then get some ideas.
Oh well, first time try.

Anyway, there are many plants which died and I still couldn't get a carpet in the foreground. The problem is that the big plattys are always taking out the grass and other plants from the foreground and I have to constantly replant them. Sometimes it's just not possible.
Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I should have left it for at least about a month until the foreground plants are a bit better rooted or use a bit smaller fish.
Any comments on this or the scape are very welcome!! :)

Nice tank. I'd have fish that don't root about and pull up the plants next time. Barbs and platties can rip all your hard work up in hours!

Nice tank. I'd have fish that don't root about and pull up the plants next time. Barbs and platties can rip all your hard work up in hours!
Yes in hindsight I would have stuck with guppies and tetras.

I don't exactly understand the reason why the carpeting plants/foreground plants are not maturing enough? Are plattys the only reason or the lack of CO2 is another?
I recently got evolution aqua complete liquid plant food so I didn't have any plant fert/food so is that another reason?

There aren't many comments on aquascape, is it because the scape itself is not an authentic style like iwagumi or dutch style OR is it really that bad?
Please, guys, do give me your views, I don't mind critical comments :cool:

Cheers

I like the hardscape :) But it is your opinion that counts as it is your tank 👍

I like it, I just want to check some opinions from the experienced people here!!
Here is another update:

IMG_20200830_164944 (2).jpg IMG_20200830_164951 (2).jpg IMG_20200830_165003 (2).jpg

This is taken today after I remove some big plants and pushed them at the back.

Also managed to do a bit of work on the small Aquazone 28 as well.
IMG_20200830_165021 (2).jpg

As per the conversation on this thread here I managed to get a used Aqua One 140 litres tank with cabinet at a good price. The only thing is that the previous owner has painted the back with blue colour. I think I prefer a black or white background.
Many thanks, @Melll & @Onoma1 for your suggestions in this regard. The good thing is that Mrs didn't object as well ;)
I will share the pictures tomorrow hopefully once I bring the aqua one 140.
Cheers

Back