• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First aquascape

MThom

Seedling
I'm having a lot of fun getting into aquascaping, my first track is 64L. I've been holding my breathe waiting for my first problems and I think I may have brown spot algae, see the photo and let me know if that's what you also think. Reading up on this it seems it isn't even a true algae. Anyone have any tips on how to manage it? Doing my 50% weekly water changes, but as a beginner have been using daily "liquid carbon" instead of CO2, which I will progress to hopefully soon. Thanks for your thoughts.
20210913_200335.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun getting into aquascaping, my first track is 64L. I've been holding my breathe waiting for my first problems and I think I may have brown spot algae, see the photo and let me know if that's what you also think. Reading up on this it seems it isn't even a true algae. Anyone have any tips on how to manage it? Doing my 50% weekly water changes, but as a beginner have been using daily "liquid carbon" instead of CO2, which I will progress to hopefully soon. Thanks for your thoughts. View attachment 174281
Does it come off when you wave your hand around the leaf? If so it’s just detritus.

No unfortunately not. No fish in the tank either so no waste from them.

@plantnoobdude Could it be Green Spot Algae (GSA) developing ? - Kind of looks like it to me... but hard to say without a better picture.

@MThom It's a common problem on slow growers if the light intensity is too high in a non-injected tank. Try adding some floating plants on top of that area such as frogbit or float some pennywort and/or dial down you light intensity. Assuming its GSA, make sure you have enough phosphate - super low phosphate levels can exacerbate GSA problems. I run my low-tech tanks at low light intensity and relatively high phosphate levels and haven't seen GSA (or any other algae to speak of) for ages... And of course, make sure you up those weekly water changes.

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and the welcome. This really is a science ha ha. I'll follow up on your advice with light and phosphate and give you an update. Sorry the picture quality isn't great, it keeps refracting at other angles. Maybe I'll also take the plunge and get the CO2 injector.

Back