• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First attempt at scaping.

weeman

Seedling
20190327_073646.jpg
Hi guys.

Been a member for a while but not really posted, dabbled in nano tanks and neo shrimp tanks previously with various degrees of success. I know have a room that not a building site to set a tank up properly!

I've gone for a nature style drift wood scape. It's my first attempt and fairly happy with the hardscape. I have drift wood siliconed together with a bed of JBL volcano at the moment.

I'm in two minds whether to go for a complete capping of tropica and attempt a full carpet or build a "wall" with mountain stone and do a sand section . Any comments welcome.

Will be relatively high tech tank with focus on growing easy plants so will need all the help I can get from you guys! Will upload of rough spec of tank and equipment etc when I'm home.

Hopefully make this tank work!

All the best.

Looks ok mate defo needs some stone to soften the wood and maybe some smaller pieces to give some depth and make your eye follow the tank around and give more interest

Thanks I think I'm going to order some stone and gravel to add a bit more detail.Just waiting on bits arrive in the post!

weeman

You have the makings of a very good and interesting Aquascape. Rocks if you choose wisely and positioned as if in nature, certainly not all the same size and shape in a row around the DW as its a feature of your Aquascape.

I personally would go with a heavily planted look using no more than three species of plants plus a moss on the DW. A low carpet where you do not have any substrate at the moment.

A few medium height plants scattered in and around the DW

All tall plants behind the DW to highlight the DW.

To give it a little extra lift have the lightest colour plants at the front to the darkest tall plants.

You might also consider a backing even on the sides to hide all the bits and pieces if not they will create a massive distraction making your Aquascape look very average.

Keith:wave::wave:

Thanks for the reply Keith definitely food thought. I want to keep it relatively simple as it's the first planted tank I've done in a while and want to get it right this time! Any suggestions on plant species I was thinking cryps and anubias or Buce among the dw and vallis or something similar behind, although I've had it in previous tanks and it's a pain for sending runners everywhere. Monte carlo or hair grass carpet?

I think I'm going to frost the back and sides as a pose to black it out completely to keep it looking a bit lighter and less dingey.

Atb

Adam

weeman
Will be relatively high tech tank with focus on growing easy plants so will need all the help I can get from you guys! Will upload of rough spec of tank and equipment etc when I'm home.

This is certainly the Forum to get all the information on the plants and the best way to grow them.

Keith:wave::wave:

Bit of an update looking for somewhere local to find some stone work I like so haven't finished hardscape as of yet! If anyone in oxford has any suggestions tried world of water and pets at home bicester to no avail.

Done a bit of plumbing etc just need to get another fire extinguisher and rig that in.

Brief spec is:

Tank: 60cmx40cmx40cm opti white.

Filter: aqua manta efx 300 with pipe work dropped to 12mm for glass lily pipes and flow taps.

Heater: sun sun inline ( will probably run with an ink bird.)

Co2: FE with co2 art reg/needle valve and nightime solenoid.

Substrate: JBL volcano and tropica plant substrate.

Ferts: have tropica, tnc carbon and ei salts to have a dabble with.

Plants: undecided easy is a must.

Attachments

• 20190331_191725.jpg
    20190331_191725.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Back