• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First attempt. What could I improve?

Stid00

Hi all,

I took the plunge in abig way recently with a new 90cm tank and a lot of hardscape to make my first proper aquascape. I've had this idea in my head for a while and am pretty happy with the result.

What do you think?
All critism welcome.

Cheers!

20201204_230552.jpg
20201204_230555.jpg

20201204_230601.jpg

Looking good. Leaving a few gaps for soil between selected stones is something you could do

Thanks both!

That's exactly what I was going for @noodlesuk Glad you like it!

@PARAGUAY yes! absolutely realise that in hindsight. I've planted the tank now and noticed I often wanted to plant something where I couldn't. Luckily I bough not a lot of epiphytes.

I also had a slight issue with soil bleeding into the sand where I'd missed a gap to block with filter floss.

I zip tied the wood together, and then to a large rock. Some of the wood came away during my first water change annoyingly. Nothing some rocks on top can't fix though.

Here's a picture of my initial planting (what you can't see is a lot of stem plants on the back right). I have improved it since then but photos with the rocks for weight don't do it justice.
20201205_073003.jpg

20201205_105122.jpg

Hey all,
This tank took off great. Now coming up to a year on I'm thinking about how to strip it down and change things.

It's got a bit wild over the last few months (I have slacked on trimming a tad) and I'm beginning to get BBA on a few plants.

As this is my first scape, I've not had to do a tear down before. I assume I can save as much of the plants as I want? Do I need to use new soil and cycle from the start?

I realise this isn't the best place to ask, so apologies for that.

Here's the tank currently.

20211001_140632.jpg
Thanks all!

Makes me wonder why you would want to rescape such a lovely looking aquarium but to answer your question:
My personal view would be that if you did it in a relatively short space of time I.E. a day or possibly two, then it would not need cycling again.
If it was going to be longer than about 12 hours I would try and keep the filter running in a bucket of tank water.
When I have done quick rescapes in the past, I used one of the larger (70 litres I think) builders Gorilla buckets in which the fish and plants have gone, and have had the filter running in it also.
Be aware though if you do add new soil, you may subject your tank to an ammonia spike.
But there are many ways to skin a cat.
Cheers!

Thanks for the info bazz.
It will hopefully be a quick change. Maybe not a full rescape but I'm not sure yet. I was hoping to keep the original soil to avoid the ammonia spike of adding new. I don't think it's breaking down yet.

It would be difficult getting all the shrimp out thats for sure, they breed like crazy in there!

Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks but it's got a few maintenance issues due to my lack of knowledge when I first set it up. For instance, there's parts of the tank where algae is taking hold that I can't get to.
I'd also like to get a bit more flow in areas.

There might be other options. If anyone has ideas please let me know. Thanks again.

I've re-used soils, sands and gravels over and over in the past and always with excellent results.

Have you got another tank, even a smaller one or made of plastic, where you could chuck plants fish and run the filter in whilst you re-scape? That'd make things much easier and relieve you from time-pressure.

What a stunning scape though! I have to say there are a lot people who have been in the hobby for much longer and would struggle to get anything this healthy and beautiful. So not to sound negative but I really would think twice before taking it down, and first check if I there's any way I could fix those issues in a couple of hours without having to disturb the ecosystem you've got in there and its balance.

Well done!

I've re-used soils, sands and gravels over and over in the past and always with excellent results.

Have you got another tank, even a smaller one or made of plastic, where you could chuck plants fish and run the filter in whilst you re-scape? That'd make things much easier and relieve you from time-pressure.

What a stunning scape though! I have to say there are a lot people who have been in the hobby for much longer and would struggle to get anything this healthy and beautiful. So not to sound negative but I really would think twice before taking it down, and first check if I there's any way I could fix those issues in a couple of hours without having to disturb the ecosystem you've got in there and its balance.

Well done!
Thank you Nico!

I do have a small tank and/or a few buckets that would help out if needed. It's great to hear about reusing soil too.
I think you are both right, and I should look at attempting to solve my BBA issue again first. I've surpassed my little knowledge though and scouring the net isn't turning up anything I haven't already tried.

I'll keep searching for a solution.

Hey all,
This tank took off great. Now coming up to a year on I'm thinking about how to strip it down and change things.

It's got a bit wild over the last few months (I have slacked on trimming a tad) and I'm beginning to get BBA on a few plants.

As this is my first scape, I've not had to do a tear down before. I assume I can save as much of the plants as I want? Do I need to use new soil and cycle from the start?

I realise this isn't the best place to ask, so apologies for that.

Here's the tank currently.

View attachment 174926
Thanks all!
Wow, a year already, looks lush, very nice growth!

Back