• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Attempt!

I really like it, the thing I'd try is that middle right hand rock slanting in the opposite direction, might work quiet nice.
I'd have to agree about the as, get a 9l bag and have some knocking about spare if needs be because it compresses over time and on a mountain scape like this that'd look pretty naff.

the left and right formations are fantastic IMO

garufs right about the middle one. you need to try and bridge the laft formation to the right one somehow. how many more rocks you got?

the tiny rocks will be completely lost BTW when its grown in.

I dunno, I don't think the little ones will, It's all a matter of scale. am I right in thinking this is quiet a big tank?

saintly said:
the left and right formations are fantastic IMO

garufs right about the middle one. you need to try and bridge the laft formation to the right one somehow. how many more rocks you got?

the tiny rocks will be completely lost BTW when its grown in.

I've still got a few rocks left over but they're quite big though, I could always smash em though :twisted:

Garuf said:
I dunno, I don't think the little ones will, It's all a matter of scale. am I right in thinking this is quiet a big tank?

The tank is 36"long x 20" high x 12" deep at the ends and 16" deep in the centre of the bow.

Garuf said:
I dunno, I don't think the little ones will,

you might be right garuf. it would be fine if using hc. i found im my big tank that where the smaller rock lies(especialy when flat) it give the impression you havnt planted anything, if you get what i mean? its like a void inbetween the glosso or hc... it seems to work placing smaller stone near bigger rocks, but not on there own. i maybe wrong though. :D

the more i look at that middle rock the more i feel it throws the formation out of balance.

Ok, I've altered the right side slightly but I'm not sure if it looks better or worse :lol:
009-4.jpg

010-3.jpg

I added another rock behind just to keep the large one from toppling over.

okay use that central depth to your advantage, imagine a pair of v's coming from each back corner towards the front foot then place your rocks along those imaginary lines, those skewed lines should help give greater depth.
I'll knock up a picture in a second.

The second stone in from the far right doesn't do it for me. Far too rounded and smooth... swap for something else and lean it the other way too, like in this pic:

010-3.jpg

Right, last lot of pics for today as the more I mess with it the more it's driving me bloomin mental :lol:
023-2.jpg

025.jpg

026-1.jpg

I've decided to try a different layout on the right hand side but now I'm unsure if it looks too similar to the left hand side, I do like it though :D
Please let me know what ya'll think about it :D
001-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

004-4.jpg

JAmesM said:
Love it, but I'd remove the centre front rock :D

Cheers JAmesM, I think I will remove that small rock as it's too light a colour compared to the rest of them.
I've still got some dark rocks left that i can smash into smaller one's :twisted: coz I like the idea of having small pieces dotted about the central area, if anything to break up the HC carpet that i'll hopefully have once it's complete.

Themuleous said:
I preferred it with the taller rocks, I think the latest rock scape will be to low in the tank once you get the plants in.
Sam
Taller rocks get my vote too, otherwise once plants grow, where are the rocks??? hehehe

I also thought that the scape would be too low in the tank so have ordered another 9l bag of amazonia to raise the area up more. I have'nt decided on the final layout yet though guys, still a few more things to try out :D

cichlidsrgr8 said:
I also thought that the scape would be too low in the tank so have ordered another 9l bag of amazonia to raise the area up more. I have'nt decided on the final layout yet though guys, still a few more things to try out :D
Keep trying it out until you get something that tells you "wow thats what I really wanted" and then you can start with the rest, give it time and it will come to you ;)

Back