• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Fluval 200L Low-tech planted tank - Questions

pinsleepe

Seedling
Dear Fish/Plant lovers!

I've been reading and thinking about my Fluval 200L for a while now and this is what I would like to go for. Please comment! So far I only got tank and filter so there is space for manoeuvre ;)

Tank: 200L Fluval on a wooden stand
Filter: JBL e900
Light: 2x 39W 34" T5 HO light tubes (?)
Substrate: 20 litres of cat litter? Or some black substrate... Have to read about it more.

Plants:
BG: water wisteria, East Indian Hygrophila, Cryptocoryne nevillii, Vallisneria nana.
MG: Nymphea lotus, Cryptocoryne Green Gecko, Microsorium pteropus.
FG: Cladophora aegagrophila, Wendt's water trumpet.

Fish: Dwarf gourami, neon rainbowfish, checker barb, siamese algae eater, coolie loach (and would love to have a shrimp in there as well).

Right now I got a simple 105L tank. I live in a new block of flats on a third floor. As my new tank is twice the size I got a little nervous but from this website (at the very bottom):
how large an aquarium can my floor support
I should be fine with 53 US gallon/ 44 UK gallon tank. :bookworm: I know it's just a guidance....

Please comment as I would like to start stocking up! :geek:

mafoo is right; even for low-energy, 10x volume turnover per hour is best although you could possibly get away with as little as 5x but it could make life unnecessarily challenging. I'd be inclined to use just one 39w T5 HO, otherwise in both instances algae will more likely than not become a problem eventually.

Have you considered that the siamese algae eater will grow quite large, even for a 200L tank? You may find a small shoal (5+) of Oto's would be a better fit. Either way don't put the sae/oto in until the tank is well matured and there is plenty for them to forage. My tank is 4 months old now and I'm still doubtful it's ready for the oto's I want.

As others have mentioned T5 lights will be too bright for a low tech, but perhaps as zebradanio says they are T8, in which case you will be fine.

Substrate wise, I came to a similar decision to you when planning my tank, but now wish I hadn't. I spent hours washing bloody cat litter!! :) I now wish I had started off with a soil base layer (original pond aquasoil) under 1mm mesh with a cap on top (gravel or sand, down to aesthetic preference). You just need to look at the chocolate puddle and bucket of mud journals to appreciate how good a soil substrate based low tech tank can be.

Good luck and I look forward to reading more about your tank in this journal.

Thank you all for responses!

Idealy you want 2000 L/h turnover
:confused:I was convinced 10x rule is for high-tech tanks.... I have to stick with this filter now (money...). If the worst happens I will cry on your shoulder :sorry:
BTW why manufacturers put on a box "filter for tanks up to 300L" if it's still not enough?!

If its a fluval roma the lights are t8 not t5
QfrJ7qv.jpg
It just says Fluval on it. I bought it second hand and is in very good condition (100x50x40).

Oto's would be a better fit
Ok, I will read about this fish.

T5 lights will be too bright for a low tech
I hate being a noob... :banghead:

I now wish I had started off with a soil base layer
I'm really tempted.

Thank you again and I will keep you posted! :thumbup:

Thank you all for responses!

:confused:I was convinced 10x rule is for high-tech tanks.... I have to stick with this filter now (money...). If the worst happens I will cry on your shoulder :sorry:
BTW why manufacturers put on a box "filter for tanks up to 300L" if it's still not enough?!

When you start adding plants they restrict the circulation and produce a lot more waste by the simple act of leaves dropping and rotting etc. This is also why some people have powerheads in their planted tanks. (personally i don't have one because I'm scared they would probably act as a small blender for the cherry shrimp)

Back