• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First high-tech light recommendation

PorridgeO

I’m going to be taking my first steps into a high tech planted tank. I wondered if I could get some suggestions for lighting. I appreciate there are a lot of such threads, but there’s such a huge amount of information out there and I hoped to use some of the knowledge here.

My tank dimensions are:
81w x 38d x 55h (cm)

I am going for a Brazilian style aquascape and will be using CO2. The plants I am going for are:

Monte carlo
Rotala orange juice, green, h’ra and rotundifolia
Hygrophilia araguaia
Blyxa japnoica
Staurogyne repens
Lilaeopsis brasilienis

I currently have a Fluval Aquasky, which I know won’t be enough. I believe I’ll need a quality RGB to bring out the reds of the Rotalas.

What sort of lights should I be looking at?

Thank you so much.

32x15x21.6, 44gal
75cm for a bar light would be best for a light bar
Next would be 2 puck style.

What kind of lights should you be looking at?
Expensive ones..... err just kidding.

Really depends on you. You need power, 40W or better, and a red heavy spectrum.
Though people seem to really hate programming these 2 @30-36" would suit your needs.
Total wattage 52.
3324 lumens.
185.94 pounds.
Amazon product ASIN B08N52M4FP
Another odd way to program.Again, need 2
Total is only 40w though.
Amazon product ASIN B08CXDWLGJ
You don't seem to have the US models.

Chihiros and twinstar don't really have the correct size. You can hang them to somewhat make up for the sizing mismatch.

Getting into the puck types
Fluval nano is 15W. Three would be a minimum.
Not at Amazon UK so don't know prices but about $85US each.If you can get AI Primes you still need 2 but that totals about 100 watts and well over $400US (for 2).

So given the above parameters 50W or more and something that would fit
Oh and make sure that if tank mounted it fits your tank style. i.e rimmed or rimless.
See what you can find. My search will give me us stock and us availability.

Back