First Journal - A beginners insight to the south americas! *now with updated pics!*

Discussion in 'Journals' started by krazypara3165, 20 Nov 2012.

1. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

As some of you may have noticed i have been pestering everyone for answers recently and i thought i would update everyone on whats going on!

So last week i had a delivery of my first 'proper' aquarium' i have a fluval edge but do not really consider it to be in the same league and will be closing it down once my new tank is running. the tank i have is to replace a 4ft one i got from ebay which collapsed during testing. instead of repairing i thought i may as well do it properly and get a new tank. the tank i chose is a 4ft 285l beauty from All pond solutions which i will be reviewing at a later date.

.........The tank, i really underestimated how big this was!
    IMG_20121113_155413.jpg

once i managed to unpack it and move it inside i have put the substrate in and have been running all the equipment, here is how it looked yesterday....
    2012-11-19175247-1.jpg

I would like to thank a few members from here, firstly 'Antipofish' (chris) for the co2 setup
    2012-11-20124804.jpg

And 'alanyusupov' (Alan) for the great unusual selection of south american plants which arrived today!
    2012-11-20124518-1.jpg
    CLINOPODIUM CF. BROWNEI 3 stems
    Echinodorus tenellus nice portion
    Bacopa sp. 'Sazlmanii' 3 stems
    Eriocaulaceae sp. 'type 2 3 stems
    Eriocaulon Goias 1 stem
    Hyptis lorentiana 1 stem
    Hygrophila polysperma 'Tiger' 3 stems
    Hygrophila sp. Araguaia 3 stems
    Lobelia cardinalis Dwarf
    Ludwigia Inclinata
    var. Verticillata Cuba 5 stems
    Polygonum sp. 'Porto Velho'
    Persicaria Sao Paulo 1 stem
    Potamogeton gayi
    Rotala Mexicana sp.Goias 5 stems
    Sagitaria Dwarf
    Staurogyne sp. Porto Velho
    Staurogyne sp. Repens
    Flame Moss

And so it begins!

2. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

Re: First Journal - A beginners insight to the south america

Finally finished planting, its a bit haphazard as its all new to me. im quite pleased with the results and now i cant wait for them to grow in!

Specs,

280l aquarium
    2x 2000lph All pond solutions filters,
    300w hydor inline heater
    500g pressurized co2 fed into filter intakes
    4x 52w t5 lights (only 2 on for 6 hours a day whilst the tank matures) i assume this should be enough?

anyway here is the results!
    2012-11-20181042-1.jpg

2012-11-20181105.jpg

2012-11-20181056.jpg

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hello,
    The question you ought to be asking is: Is 500g of CO2 enough for a 300L tank?

Cheers,

4. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

well i have 2 cannisters, and i get them refilled for next to nothing so i can bump it up to whatever it needs to be!

5. foxfish

foxfish Member

As a very basic guideline, I use 2kg every 10 weeks on my 200lt. tank. I am using 2 x 39w T5 & 3 x 9w LEDs for 6 hours a day, the lights are 50cm above the water.

6. Ady34

Ady34 Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi Krazypara,
    looking good and seems like youre doing the right things with c02 on the inlets to redistribute evenly via the spraybars :thumbup:
    As others have touched on, id raise your light unit as high as it will go as this will allow you a little room for error on the c02 injection until you get it set at the right levels. Also while you have the opportunity with having no livestock, id ramp the c02 right up (get a yellow drop checker colour for lights on) to give the plants the best possible start.....9 times out of 10 its too much light and not enough c02 availability that kills plants.
    Good luck mate, looks to have great potential :thumbup:
    Cheerio,
    Ady.

7. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

unfortunatly thats as high as the lights go altho I will be looking into modyfying it slightly to make it go higher. And there will be no livestock until at least next weekend so I will ramp up the co2 today!

8. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

If your struggling to raise the light, have you thought about taking out a t5 bulb?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

9. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

Well im only using 2 out of the four bulbs, still think this is overkill?

10. jack-rythm

jack-rythm Member

I couldn't say, if your experiencing problems assuming its related to light and can't raise your unit then I guess take a bulb out. Its difficult to say. I guess you can try and see how it does. Its best to have too little light than too much?

Sent from my Nexus 7

11. MikeG747

MikeG747 Member

Hi Krazypara,
    I have the same tank and the same lighting setup. I found that running all lights for 6 hours for the first 3 weeks was ok.
    I had an outbreak of stag horn algae after about two weeks, but this was entirely co2 based. But then my tank was a bit more heavily planted than yours. Now that all is grown uni run the lights for 8 hours a day with no real issue.

Mike

12. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

cheers everyone, managed to raise the lights slightly. and also whilst there is no livestock in the tank its getting blitzed with co2. just a matter of playing the waiting game now!

13. tim

tim Forum Moderator Staff Member

Nice plant list mate tank looks good just remember with this hobby patience is a virtue :thumbup:

14. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

So today I went downstairs to find a white film over some of the plants and the water is a tad cloudy. Im assuming this is the tank settling and I have read several reports as to what it could be with no difinitive answer. Either way I will up my water changes and see what happens.

15. Re: First Journal - A beginners insight to the south america

I'd have said it was a bacterial bloom. Should clear in a few weeks. Don't overdo the water changes, keep them small but frequent. Say 20-30% a day if possible.

16. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

That was what i thought, nice to have someone that agrees. started 20% water changes today so i will continue for as long as it takes. ive also got the surface skimmer running just to help out as it was starting to build up on the surface

17. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

Well i thought i'd post my three week update.

A lot of things have changed from my original concept, now at the moment i have around 15 tetras keeping the tank running, i have now decided to get rid of the tetras and go discus! it will be a lot of hard work, but ive already put a lot into this tank and i feel it will look stunning if i can pull it off. however i will be waiting till after christmas so my tank has a little longer to settle.

So far.......
    It appears algae is creeping in, unfortunatly as my co2 is on full whack i cannot boost it higher, which leaves me the only option of reducing the lighting. i have managed to bodge, the lighting to raise it by 15 inches hopefully that will help, i will be continuing dosing as usual. if anyone has any more recommendations im all ears! so far it is only appearing on old leaves but i'd rather catch it now rather than letting it get worse.

apologies for the poor quality pictures as they were taken from my mobile.

i also apologise for the tinsel LOL (girlfriend)

FTS (with the now raised lights)
    2012-12-11163652.jpg

Algae creeping in
    2012-12-11163824-1.jpg

Lower leaves of Bacopa sp struggling (lack of co2?)
    2012-12-11164026-1.jpg

rotala mexicana (getting binned next week if no improvement)
    2012-12-11163841.jpg

All is not bad though! most plants are thriving considering the temp is 27 degrees ready for the discus!

some of the good!

echiodorus tennellus is growing fantastic, new runners everyday!
    2012-12-11163722.jpg

and the ludwiga cuba is also thriving!
    2012-12-11164053.jpg

So..... three weeks down. all in all i am really pleased with the results so far, due to the high temp i did get far more plants than needed as i knew at one point they would need thining out. so far im pleased with the results!

LondonDragon likes this.
  18. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

Finally found out how to increase the working pressure for co2, came in today to find the drop checker has finally gone lime green! :D hopefully this will stop the algae, and by next week ill know if the plants pictured above are struggling with the heat or lack of co2.

19. Antipofish

Antipofish Guest

Keep your eye on the DC to make sure that you have not over compensated. Hope the extra CO2 will make all the difference. There is a theory that the addition of liquid carbon can also help.

20. krazypara3165

krazypara3165 Member

cheers! ironically i got hold of another co2 setup today fe and hong kong reg, and tested the solenoid on it and it worked! :S but the other one came in the post today and that works on my existing setup so all sorted. ill be keeping my eye on the drop checker and adusting it accordingly over the next few days. im trying to steer clear of liquid carbon as its a bit expensive and ill need a lot for my tank, id rather just pull the plants that dont work as they only equate to less than 5% of the plant mass.

uk bulldog likes this.
Tags: