• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Journal - A beginners insight to the south americas! *now with updated pics!*

Re: First Journal - A beginners insight to the south america

So what working pressure do you have now?
liquid carbon might not be as expensive as you think! there are several suppliers out there that sell in largish amounts quite cheaply. I must confess to being a liquid carbon user, I like to add 5ml a day to my 200l tank.

foxfish said:
So what working pressure do you have now?
liquid carbon might not be as expensive as you think! there are several suppliers out there that sell in largish amounts quite cheaply. I must confess to being a liquid carbon user, I like to add 5ml a day to my 200l tank.
Haha I honestly have no idea :s the second gage on my reg only shows you how far youve opened.up the valve... Pretty useless tbh. I used to use excel on a nano tank but I always seemed to get better results without it, its kinda put me off using it on my larger tank now

Lovely tank, whats the quality of the tank and stand?

Ahhh, thanks for the review. I have been thinking of taking a look at the APS ranges of tanks, but was a little concerned about the quality, as they were quite reasonably priced :)

jojouk said:
Ahhh, thanks for the review. I have been thinking of taking a look at the APS ranges of tanks, but was a little concerned about the quality, as they were quite reasonably priced :)

What do you have at the moment jojo ? We'd all like to see your setup as it is now along with a journal of your new venture :)

jojouk said:
The price was the part that made me go out and get one, for a 4 bar t5, a braceless tank, a 200lph filter and a stand it was definatly worth it even.if the stand is not the best of quality.... And for 450 after discount I really cant complain. Also gives me a project to build a new stand over summer when I get bored ;)

Well, i think i am long overdue an update!

Its been a few months and i am really pleased with the results! looking back on my pictures growth has been great and ten days ago i picked up my discus from Steve Punchard at aquascope (really recommend, quality fish!!)

However not all has been plain sailing, algae has crept in (unsure what type) and im getting green spot algae on the glass that i have to remove every fortnight.
The algae im putting down to adjusting my co2 settings to compensate for the 02 that ive started pumping into the aquarium (to help the discus settle in more) and possibly due to the occasional missed E.I dose. now that im on top of it all ill wait it out a few weeks and make an informed decision then. im pretty sure ive got great flow as the drop checker is very lime green in all areas!

Also a couple of my stem plants are struggling lower down, im pretty sure this is due to my higher temps (28 degrees) if they get too bad ill look into getting more tolerant plants.

so here are some pics!

FTS
P1028111_zps27ff1973.jpg

Bonus for finding the 8 Discus that are hiding!

Algae
P1028088_zps94c57cac.jpg

P1028086_zpsb88f25e6.jpg

Residents
P1028106_zpsb4aaeded.jpg

PC298057_zpsf5f2b6fd.jpg

P1028084_zps659a2939.jpg

P1028135_zps0dfb4857.jpg

P1028109_zps0efd597c.jpg

P1028123_zps4f48495c.jpg

And finally...... Discus! :D
P1028101_zpsb1bb9bb0.jpg

PC298033_zps8717a0db.jpg

PC298072_zpsb3971d85.jpg

PC298060_zpsb6914b42.jpg

I would like to finish off by thanking all of the members for the help so far! and especially the lads that helped me learn how to take better pictures! im way off from where i want to be but its a great start! :)

i fancied a bit of a change, cleaning the tank after beefheart feedings was becomming a chore and i wanted to make it easier so i did a bit of a re-scape

20130205_122411_zpsfd40dabe.jpg

as you can see the slate it gone, ive trimmd down a lot of the plants and binned the struggling ones.
i am a lot happier with the results and it makes maintence a lot easier!

quick update- everything seems to be doing well. was dosing liquid carbon but it was having detrimental effects on my grass (disintergrating) so im only dosing it now when needed.

tried to get a few pics of the fish today but they were being pests. managed to get one pic tho!

discusflash_zps5d81f120.jpg

Back