First Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Gallery' started by rustedzeke, 3 Nov 2013.

1. rustedzeke

rustedzeke Newly Registered

GCaEOVp.jpg

This is my lovely 8 day old 100L aquarium - my first attempt at a planted tank! I am extremely pleased with the result.
    I had an order for a carpeting plant (Eleocharis sp. 'Mini'), which was due to arrive on the day that I started my aquarium, but it has been persistently delayed. Also with this order are some long plants that I mean to cover the filter with, and Tropica fertiliser (which I won't use for a few weeks anyway.)
    I meant to start this aquarium several months ago, however the wood that I bought would not sink for many weeks, and by the time that it did my holiday had ended.

There are 3 amano shrimps being their usual busy selves keeping the place clean, and (for cycling purposes) I have seven lampeyes doing well. In addition, there are three assassin snails in there (and I have seen no pest snails yet!)

For those of you who are bound to ask, it is a very low light aquarium (just a single T5 16w tube) and I am injecting 2ml of liquid carbon every day. From what I have read, this is extremely low light conditions for a 100L tank, but I have been taking a photo every day and the plants are definitely growing fine.

Any thoughts, comments or questions would be much appreciated :)

2. wijnands

wijnands Member

For a first setup it's amazing!

Personally... I think I'd concentrate most of the planting on the right. Move the filter to the right corner and don't have any plants on the left 1/3 of the tank. I'd also stick the heater in an upright position in the right of the tank so that it will gradually disappear from view.

3. Piotr Kaleta

Piotr Kaleta Member

I agree with wijnands. Very nice first attempt rustedzeke:)

4. Yacka76

Yacka76 Newly Registered

Very nice looking tank what size tank is it?

5. Yacka76

Yacka76 Newly Registered

What fish are you planning to introduce?

6. rustedzeke

rustedzeke Newly Registered

if you had read the writing you would know the answer to both those questions ;)
    I have seven lampeyes in my 100L tank at the moment, and once it is cycled I am planning on maybe adding 6 more.

7. richard powell

richard powell Member

Looks good mate, I would concentrate on adding more plants now tho but thats just me haha

dw1305 likes this.