• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank and first photo's - Comments Welcome

durtydurty

Did a water change and thought I'd share a few shots, Only my second tank and been going three months.

Comments always welcome, particularly in relation to spray bar and inlet etc.

DSCF1515.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

DSCF1524.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg

DSCF1527.jpg

DSCF1529.jpg

Last shot is my Rhinox directly going into the inlet.

Tank has had a trim hence the lack of height on some plants.

Looks good so far, that piece of wood is great, really nice feature, now you need to let those stem plants bush out a little.
Also becarefull with the glosso getting too think, you need to trim and keep it low to the substrate, otherwise it will just rot underneath as I found out and had to replant it all.
Good luck and keep us posted :)

LondonDragon said:
Looks good so far, that piece of wood is great, really nice feature, now you need to let those stem plants bush out a little.
Also becarefull with the glosso getting too think, you need to trim and keep it low to the substrate, otherwise it will just rot underneath as I found out and had to replant it all.
Good luck and keep us posted :)

Thanks for the kind comments, to get the stem plants to bush out do i just trim them back at a leaf and they will bush out from there?

The glosso beats me to be honest, I end up with loads floating around everywhere!

durtydurty said:
Thanks for the kind comments, to get the stem plants to bush out do i just trim them back at a leaf and they will bush out from there?
The glosso beats me to be honest, I end up with loads floating around everywhere!
yep and replant what you trim too ;) to make it more stems in the group.
Yeah glosso is like that, you just have to keep planting until it gets a hold, then nothing can dig it up, unless it grows too thick and start rotting away ;)

i like it, tis a very cool piece of wood
the transition from the vallis in the background to the glosso in the foreground is a little abrubt, it could maybe do with some medium sized midground plants to soften the transition
just my 2 pence worth
JC :D

It looks great and that wood is awesome. You may struggle to get a good effect using vallis and stems for the background, if it were me i'd use one or the other. If you use stems in the backgroud you'll be able to sculpt them to create a transition from fore, mid and background.

Thanks for the comments, I can see what you mean about the step from vallis to glosso.

Any recommnedations on a good plant as a mid ground or indeed a back ground plant.

London dragon kidly donated some of that rice paddy plant and I have some of that growing on the right hand side by the heater, would that be any good for mid ground or back ground?

Bearing in mind the spray bar bends anything over when it gets to high which is why I chose vallis as its flexible and like the effect as it grows over the top and covers the top of the tank, like saintlys sumatradriftwood scape!

Back