• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank in ages...

Tom

Well it's been a very long time since I've had a planted tank now, but since I've just inherited my parents Rio 180 (they are upsizing and going malawi), I thought I'd go planted again. Just low tech, keeping the 2 T5 bulbs, same old soil but with tonnes of Tropica capsules and new sand, and the same plants (minus the swords).

There's no way I can afford to go back to ADA now that I am a student again, so this will do :)

IMG_5480.jpg

I reckon I will remove the Vallis from the left section, as it is getting pummelled by the eheim from the other side of the tank, and keep it with the Crypts and Sag that is much lower. I want to make more of a clearing between the centre and the right sections too to define that a little better. Other than that, I'm gonna let it run wild and see what happens. The soil is very root bound from the previous setup still, so maybe I'll get some random things springing up. Theres also some Nymphaea bulbs in there, and an A. madagascariensis bulb.

So that's about it really. Oh and for fish I have no clue yet, but i want something calming and peaceful. I'm thinking festive cichlids... maybe...

Tom

its beatiful, i love it, so simple and effective.

Its just the left side as you say... the vallis on the far left looks a mess. i think using the crpts and keeping that 1/3rd low, so just removing the vallis will do. Make like a carpet of crypts!

im in love with crypts at the moment.

i love the middle section though, that jungle look.

in terms of your cichlids.

have you considered

Keyholes
Apisto's
Chessboard Cichlids (dicrossus filamentosus) - im im correct.
perhaps even the odd ram...

you could combine some of these with some dither fish like harlequins for example or rummies.

Ok here we go, Vallis has gone from the left and I've tidied it up a bit too. After my 3rd 50% water change today it's starting to clear a bit better! That'll teach me to be lazy with the sand washing!

I need to sort out a background too. Probably will use white paper on the wall or something, as it looks a bit murky with blue/grey paint...

IMG_5485.jpg

Tom

That looks much better, nice and clean but still got character - just what I like! :) Nice one

Thought I'd just do a quick update on the growth etc. I've thinned out a lot of the Vallis that had algae on, so it is looking a bit tidier now. Bad pictures because I've used the little camera for these!

My A. madagascariensis has thrown out several new leaves within a week of being in the tank, so I am pleased with that :)
IMG_4014.jpg

Vallis has put out lots of strong runners and is beginning to spread
IMG_4012.jpg

As is the Dward Sag...
IMG_4006.jpg

Full shot
IMG_4023-1.jpg

Tom

There's no way I can afford to go back to ADA now that I am a student again, so this will do :)

You dont need to, I really like your tank. I lean towards the jungle :D . It would be nice to see more of them. I think jungle scapes provide a great deal of interest when done right.

Back