• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Planted tank

Paul Castle

Seedling
Tank_zps4bil3kzg.jpg
Hi guys, I've just finished setting up my tank, after years of using artificial plants in community tanks. I have finally decided to try to make a fully planted tank... I used Tetra Active Aquarium Substrate ( One 6 L bag gave around 1-2cm depth covering the floor of my tank, I then used Black Glass Gravel to around 4cm .....Split Hair grass for my foreground and also planted split Amazon Swords across the rear of the tank. I used a piece of Bogwood for a "Log" in the centre and put Anubis with the Log and Cabomba either side...... My first try so I have my fingers Crossed

Last edited:
I Plan on leaving the plants to establish (Is CO2 essential?) then begin by adding Shrimp then maybe another month or so and then begin to build a large School of Neon and Cardinal tetras
I really want the blues and reds to offset against the Green's and black gravel

Co2 is not essential Paul with the plants you have,a good place to start is the tutorials,you have Tetra substrate so a good starter is Tim Harrison's on soil substrate .If you decide Co2 you can later ,it's not as complicated as it appears and plenty of help on the forum.

hey guys, Day two.... I got home from work and there are millions of bubbles on every surface?...... is this normal?
I wouldn't worry to much about it , it's probably just oxygen from when you filled the tank.... I had the same last week.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hello,
Not to be rude or to rain on your parade, but really you need to be asking questions by starting a separate thread in the appropriate forum section. You'll get a wider audience as folks tend to be selective about which threads they look at, so the New Member Introduction isn't where folks will look to answer these questions.

Cheers,

I Plan on leaving the plants to establish (Is CO2 essential?)

The only plant that would really do any different with it, is Cabomba. This is an incredibly fast growing and tall plant under optimum conditions, however it grows fine in low light and low/ little co2. Just slower and the colours won’t be as vibrant. Green tends to be the easiest variety. Leave it to grow right to the water line and it will take co2 from the surface, may even flower for you.

I have both green and red Cabomba and it grows stupidly quick - 5/6 cms every couple days. Cut it back and replant the stems and you can turn a straggly single stem into a beautiful bushy back drop. Beautiful plant. Doesn’t do so well in the direct line of high flow, as the leaves act like nets catching everything. You can combat this by gently running your hand over it and shaking any bits off. Generally speaking though, pretty bullet proof. Offers great hiding place for shrimp and because the leaves act as nets, also a great source of food for them

Back