• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First post and intro to my Shrimp tank.

mr. luke

Hi, Im new to the forum and this is my first post.
Im 16, and my main interest is inverts
Im not on par with you guys by any means but i think this tank works for its function.
not really a scape as such but more of an invert friendly invironment.
After a spell of destruction it now looks ok again.
Any comments and improvement ideas are much apreciated
You can also probably tell that i have a naff camera

35l,
inert substrate and very very occasional ferts (as in every month or as needed)

This is the tank at its peak, its best looking point
100_1977.jpg

Picture as it is now,
102_2158.jpg

Which looks better in your opinion?

Inhabitants are neon tetras, threadfin rainbows, tadpole snails, CRS shrimp, Green lace shrimp, Gafs (not permanent), cherries, a few tigers, palmatas, babaulti's (sold as blue bees but clearly not) and a few other unidentifieds.
Also, apple snails, ruby nerites, trumpet snails and 4 sulawesi sp's.

All shrimps are breeding, although i cant seem to get the green lace past the larval stage despite swatting up on guides :(

Nice tank! I'm not sure which is better, I'm a big fan of jungle-type scapes so the second one is good, but a bit overgrown so I also like the more structured look of the first.

What are Gats?

thanks :D i wasnt expecting any replies if im honest, i recently subscribed to another forum of the same nature and got shunted for not being a true aquascaper :bored:
im going to try and remodel it similar to the firs one then, possiably with a moss carpet as i am pleased with the growth of it :D
The reason i rescaped was because i removed the largest cryp and it pulled up all but 2 plants with it :(
any idea of improvement based upon the first image then?

I just have the standard 11w light that came with the tank :p
never been changed in 2 years so its about sue it, all the plants are doing well with the low light, it does have about 4 hours worth of sunlight though, without any algae issues whatsoever :)

also, an id on the huge stem plants in the second photo? growing sooooo fast its unbeliveable, needs cutting in half every other week.

looks like ill be redoing it like it was before then :D
I actually tried to set the focal point with the upright bit of wood but your talented if you can actually see it to be honest.
any advice on what could be improved upon before i rescape? I was fairly happy with it but its not great, even i know that :p

Im redoing it as we speak :p
I struggle with red plants under 11w of lighting to be honest, i have red rotilla (spelling?) which is rather nice looking but also rather green :(
Thinking of bodging on a t5 to the flap, should boost the lighting a bit :D

all of the plants in the first scape are the same ones that are in the second :D
just a little more trimmed :p
thanks for all the feedback guys, just off to get some vallais and batteries from an lfs (no idea why they sell betteries??) so a picture should be up tonight of the hopefull 'improvement'

ok, i nicked a few plants from my other tanks and here it is, its not the same as the first image, i feel its better,
you cant get the feeling of the slopes from the rubbish camera though :(
102_2185.jpg

Any comments/critics welcome :D

i think there is something to be said for the second picture, sometimes tanks seem to look a little too manicured. I really like those which are thought out but retain some sense of wilderness *not the right word but I'm sure you catch my drift*

do you mean my latest image? as my second one is the most unruly tank ever.
It hasnt settled in or grown at all yet so its stil a work in progress :D

thanks, sorry to say that the moss isnt really optional :( its attatched to a heater bracket as a perch for my GAFS and my green laces to perch on.
ive had a reshuffle slightly, Moved the plant towards the left, hacked away at the cabomba a bit, moved the lilly slightly and added a few bits and pieces.
let me know what you think,
Is it possiable for this to be moved to a journals type section as its a bit of an ongoing thing now :)
Ive also changed the bulb today :D found one for £3 so i thought why not, a huge differnce i might add.
I think its improving :)
102_2186.jpg

i also borrowed the light off the tank next to it for photo purposes, makes them much clearer :)

Back