• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First post, plant advice please.

GrowPod

Hello, I have been lurking here a while and admiring all the tremendous posts.

I have ordered two Paludariums type aquariums from aquariums4life as pictured.

I am an experienced reef hobbyist from a few years ago and one tank will be rather ambitious it will be a mini lagoon reef with land for a fiddler crab (or some such). This will be a hi tech tank

The other will be a freshwater plated tank with a land section and waterfall, this will be a low tech tank.

Have you guys got any recommendations for plants to use in the freshwater Pal?

This is not a reef forum but I am struggling with suitable plants for the land section of the reef. I am thinking something like Yucca on a beech or succulents, if I go that route I will have to keep the land dry whereas I will mist the fresh one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paludarium_zpsqcuxitj8.jpg

Here's my normally recommended plants for low tech...

Attachments

• 20181118_220159.jpg
    20181118_220159.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Matt,

I suspected my questions bout the land area are out of the remit of this forum, but your reply helps a lot for my underwater selections.

Hi all,
suitable plants for the land section of the reef
You could try <"Ipomoea pes-caprae">, you might need to grow it from seed initially. If you want a Yucca type succulent, I'd suggest an Aloe sp. there are plenty of different sizes to choose from.
The other will be a freshwater plated tank with a land section and waterfall, this will be a low tech tank.
We have few members with these sort of set ups.

Have a look at <"Splash Tetra Paludarium">, <"Paludarium In the making">, <"Terrascaping (poison dart frog vivarium)"> and <"Poison dart frog build (pic heavy")>.

You could also have a look at @hydrophytes <"riparium"> posts.

The plants that you can grow is going to depend on how wet the the terrestrial section is.

cheers Darrel

Thank you very much dw1305 for the effort you put into your reply with excellent links. The Bayhops you linked is a great idea, I have now modified my plan, both these pals will be freshwater and I am going to self build another long and not very high tank for the lagoon/beach as I think it will suit that setup better. And one can never have enough tanks (maintenance.........)

I am looking at misters and I thought they would be simple affairs with a tank of water and pump on a timer forcing water through a misting nozzle, but they seem expensive. I will probably use waterfalls for wetting the terrestrial sections.

Hi all,
very much dw1305 for the effort you put into your reply with excellent links
I've been a member of UKAPS for a long time, and I have a pretty good memory, so I can usually think of the poster or thread, so it doesn't take long to find them.

I have to restrict the number of times that I look at
to avoid ending up both broke and homeless.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I've been a member of UKAPS for a long time, and I have a pretty good memory, so I can usually think of the poster or thread, so it doesn't take long to find them.

I have to restrict the number of times that I look at to avoid ending up both broke and homeless.

cheers Darrel

I have to avoid too much of them also, the wife would kill me if I had poisonous frogs in the house. Of course I could have them if I wanted as I definitely wear the trousers in my house.... and I know this because my wife told me so.

Back