First real attempt (tropica aquacube)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by fish fodder, 30 Jun 2008.

1. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

hi guys,

be gentle with me, just set this up 2 days ago so it needs growing out, looks a little stark. please tell me how i could improve. many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looking good, but did you attach your HC to the bogwood? you should really break it up and plant it on the substrate ;)

3. Garuf

Garuf Member

Same advice really, looks great.
    Just leave it to grow out! :)

4. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

No, it came on the rock, from AE, i was thinking that any pieces that come away from the rock i could re plant in the substrate. i did want the HC on its own but they were out of stock at the time of ordering.

5. LondonDragon

Not too sure if it will do well on the rock, but I will let someone with more experience with HC to let you know. But I think it would do much better on a fertile substrate.

6. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

yeah its a bit of hit and miss i didnt think it would do so well but took a chance, time will tell. i'll keep you posted on its progress or lack of. its from tropica so maybe it will be ok lol

7. LondonDragon

The only thing I can do with HC is kill it, must be my water which is not good for it or the gravel doesn't help. Good luck ;)

8. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

It looks really nice, especially for a first attempt!

With regards to the HC, i've kept HC in the substrate whilst having a couple of pots full just sitting in the tank, the stuff on the substrate went great where as the stuff in the pots just got really leggy and unhealthy. Maybe you'll find the same due to the lack of nutrients being absorbed by the roots. Heavy water column dosing will certainly help and it's in a good position within the tank enabling maximum up take so you could be ok.

9. john starkey

john starkey Member

HI,just be patient and let it fill out and i am sure it will be really nice,good first attempt,regards john.

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i think if the plants were spread out more then it would fill up quicker, it will look good though.

11. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

thanks for the tips guys

12. jay

jay Member

HC doesn't look too healthy.
    Reckon you'll be buying a pot of it soon and with that creeping up the "mountain" with the pogostemon sprouting out
    its going to be a real gem.

great hardscape :D

whats the grass in the back, parvula?

13. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

yeah, some of the leaves are starting to go yellow however some are coming on quite nicely. like i said previously its a bit of an experiment with it on the rock.

14. jay

jay Member

If you're getting new growth then it should be fine. Maybe snip off some runners and plant them up in the soil?

15. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Nice scape.

16. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

i have some that are naturally coming away from the main clump so there going to be planted in the soil. everytime i look at it i feel it would be better to plant the HC separate in the soil, the only thing that is stopping me is that it cost me over a tenner for a little bit of rock lol

17. jay

jay Member

OUCH!! Could always take it off the rock, plant it then put the rock in a nice glass box and put it on a shelf for everyone to see. You could even keep a little inscription on the glass box.... not going to repeat what I'd put on it :)

If it does start to pick up and trail off the rock and down across the soil then it could end up being a nice little feature, like a hill before the mountain?

18. Dacious

Dacious Member

The cube layout it looking good!
    Is that a hang-on-the-back filter you have? If so will it not drive off CO2 (unless you are going to put fish in it of course)? Also, how much has it cost to set up?

Keep us posted on the progress.

19. fish fodder

fish fodder Member

errrr too much. well the cube itself i got when is first came out at a cost of £150, then the HOB which was only about £10 i think then everything you see in the tank now came to £50. i dont intend to put fish in it, way too small.

20. Dacious

Dacious Member

Wow that's more than I was expecting.....there goes that idea. Just wondered if you are not intending to put fish in would it not be better to remove the HOB filter as I thought it would drive off the CO2? But then I guess you need it to prevent dead areas. Sorry I'm not criticising just wondered as I have been told to avoid HOB filters.