• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First real attempt (tropica aquacube)

fish fodder

hi guys,

be gentle with me, just set this up 2 days ago so it needs growing out, looks a little stark. please tell me how i could improve. many thanks

2122-056.JPG

2122-080.JPG

2122-077.JPG

Same advice really, looks great.
Just leave it to grow out! :)

No, it came on the rock, from AE, i was thinking that any pieces that come away from the rock i could re plant in the substrate. i did want the HC on its own but they were out of stock at the time of ordering.

fish fodder said:
No, it came on the rock, from AE, i was thinking that any pieces that come away from the rock i could re plant in the substrate. i did want the HC on its own but they were out of stock at the time of ordering.
Not too sure if it will do well on the rock, but I will let someone with more experience with HC to let you know. But I think it would do much better on a fertile substrate.

yeah its a bit of hit and miss i didnt think it would do so well but took a chance, time will tell. i'll keep you posted on its progress or lack of. its from tropica so maybe it will be ok lol

It looks really nice, especially for a first attempt!

With regards to the HC, i've kept HC in the substrate whilst having a couple of pots full just sitting in the tank, the stuff on the substrate went great where as the stuff in the pots just got really leggy and unhealthy. Maybe you'll find the same due to the lack of nutrients being absorbed by the roots. Heavy water column dosing will certainly help and it's in a good position within the tank enabling maximum up take so you could be ok.

HI,just be patient and let it fill out and i am sure it will be really nice,good first attempt,regards john.

HC doesn't look too healthy.
Reckon you'll be buying a pot of it soon and with that creeping up the "mountain" with the pogostemon sprouting out
its going to be a real gem.

great hardscape :D

whats the grass in the back, parvula?

yeah, some of the leaves are starting to go yellow however some are coming on quite nicely. like i said previously its a bit of an experiment with it on the rock.

If you're getting new growth then it should be fine. Maybe snip off some runners and plant them up in the soil?

jay said:
If you're getting new growth then it should be fine. Maybe snip off some runners and plant them up in the soil?

i have some that are naturally coming away from the main clump so there going to be planted in the soil. everytime i look at it i feel it would be better to plant the HC separate in the soil, the only thing that is stopping me is that it cost me over a tenner for a little bit of rock lol

OUCH!! Could always take it off the rock, plant it then put the rock in a nice glass box and put it on a shelf for everyone to see. You could even keep a little inscription on the glass box.... not going to repeat what I'd put on it :)

If it does start to pick up and trail off the rock and down across the soil then it could end up being a nice little feature, like a hill before the mountain?

The cube layout it looking good!
Is that a hang-on-the-back filter you have? If so will it not drive off CO2 (unless you are going to put fish in it of course)? Also, how much has it cost to set up?

Keep us posted on the progress.

Dacious said:
The cube layout it looking good!
Is that a hang-on-the-back filter you have? If so will it not drive off CO2 (unless you are going to put fish in it of course)? Also, how much has it cost to set up?

Keep us posted on the progress.

errrr too much. well the cube itself i got when is first came out at a cost of £150, then the HOB which was only about £10 i think then everything you see in the tank now came to £50. i dont intend to put fish in it, way too small.

Wow that's more than I was expecting.....there goes that idea. Just wondered if you are not intending to put fish in would it not be better to remove the HOB filter as I thought it would drive off the CO2? But then I guess you need it to prevent dead areas. Sorry I'm not criticising just wondered as I have been told to avoid HOB filters.

Back