• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Shrimp Tank **UPDATED**

logi-cat

After going to Aquatic Live on Saturday and seeing the shrimps from the FreshWaterShrimp stand, i couldn't resist redoing my nano cube today. The tank will definitely house CRS, not sure about other varieties yet, any suggestions?

Here's what i'm using:

Tank: P@H 25l Cube
Substrate: Akadama
Lighting: 11W Daylight ArcPod
Filter: Eheim 2213 (will put a sponge on the inlet)
Heater: Hydor ETH 200W
Hardscape: Driftwood of some sort (i'll be grateful if anybody can tell me what it is)
Flora: Flamemoss (will add other mosses later)
Others: Cattappa leaves (not yet added)

The tank already had Akadama in it, but because i wanted to start fresh, i decided to change it anyway. Filter has been running for ages so i'll give it a week before i add livestock. I manage to trade in my old stock (7 x Celestial Pearl Danios, 3 x Otocinclus and 1 x Pygmy Corydoras) at my local Maidenhead Aquatics in exchange for their CRS, which i will pick up next week.

Heres some pictures of the initial setup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: First Shrimp Journal

Just got back from work an hour ago, and this is how it looks:

I used a mixture of RO water and tap water to get the tank running. The TDS coming out the tap was 300+. Tank has not been running for more than 10 hours and the reading i got was 180 which is perfect for CRS. Havent yet tested the GH, will do that tomorrow. Will try and aim for 4-6.

Re: First Shrimp Tank

Just an idea but to save space and money you could do without the heater maybe? Shrimp actually love the waters a little colder than fish.. I have my jungle shrimp nano with not filter or heater and temps hover around 21-22 degrees, which is ideal in the wild the temps can vary between anything like 22 and lower. Your tank is very similar to mine actually. I have all used akadama but have also used Irish peat moss and john innes number 3. I found with akadama it leaches for a while so best to hold off putting your CRS in for at least 3-4 weeks. I speak from experience as all my shrimp died, I then opened a debate and it was down to the akadama and Irish peat moss. Check out my jungle nano link. You should find it helpful. We have very similar tanks and sizes.

Jack :)

Sent from my Nexus 7

On your visit to MA pick up a black background too!! Screaming out for one!
Good start looks really fresh, another type of miss would have been a better choice for the wood tho, I can send you some java and your could re tie it to the wood and use the flame on pads instead?

Yes they love the cold...
So if you want to sell our heater...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes they love the cold...
So if you want to sell our heater...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tank looks good :)

You could look into Red Cherry Shrimp as they will not cross breed with your CRS as they are different type (Link here for info - http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html)

I myself am going to get some Cherry Red's they seem bomb proof unlike CRS - Once the tank is ready I will also get CRS.

Wish you well in your venture!

Have fun :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I switched off the heater this afternoon, so the tanks being running for 8 hours or so with no assistants and the temperature reads 21.5 degrees which is perfect (if anybody wants to buy the heater let me know as i won't be advertising it on the forum, otherwise i'll keep it). Looks like i will be removing the heater some time this week when im free. Just took another TDS reading, and it has dropped down to 165. Looking to add some shrimp caves soon, not sure if i will buy it or attempt a diy.

make me an offer, i still have the original box. the funds can go towards some new shrimp, lol

Just watch the temp doesn't drop too low over the winter months. Every house is different of course, but my crs tank sits at between 21-23 degrees without the heater. It rarely comes on but I have it in there though, set to come on at 20 degrees. When we had those couple of hard winters back to back I was glad of it too - temps dropped to minus 15 here and the house was very cold in the mornings!! Heaters were kicking in on crs tanks every night over that cold snap.

Wow mike where do you live? I think I remember those winters ! and logi-cat I would obviously want to pay as little possible as its near christmas.. how about you just tell me what you want to get for it so were not tossing and throwing all day :lol:

Jack

Only in Crewe mate, but those 2 winters produced some cold nights! Was only a couple of years ago too. Just looking at one of my crs tanks now and the heater has kicked in. Adults would be ok without heater I'm sure, but I'm paranoid about stability for sake of shrimplet survival!...... Probably to a fault :) lol

My neo's, yellow fires in particular wont breed in anything below 25. The young are very slow growing too in cool water - turn the temp up though and they boom! Funny little dudes these shrimp hey!!!

In that case ill just keep it for safety precaution.

Like I said, only my own experience / learnings and may not be the same for everyone.

Not tried tigers myself yet......they are smart looking shrimp those blues too! Did you get them from Germany or uk sourced?

just got up and took another temperature reading, it was around 19 degrees. so looks like the heater will stay. off tomorrow so i will carry on with adding more moss to the tank. looking to add some floating plants as well.

The flame moss NEEDS to come of the branches mate can see it looking a bit odd when it gets going.

Back