• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Tank - Carpet keeps floating up

Ingelow25

I am about 8 months into my first tank. I have an HC “Cuba” carpet on a ADA Amazonia substrate. I started with a lower tech setup, but the HC wasn’t growing well. I added CO2 injection 3 weeks ago which has really helped with the health of the plants and growth.
I am having issues though where the clumps of hc keep lifting up And the roots aren’t settling in.
0A2A93C0-D5EA-457C-AD71-2FD2DE20F1DE.jpeg
I have tried to bury the plants, continually replant them, tried weighing the plants down with the stone shards and snail shells etc. However, the plants dont stay in position long enough for the root systems to develop.
Are there any tips that anyone can offer on how to deal with this?

Attachments

• 83D3F816-72B8-493D-964B-586849C653C7.jpeg
    83D3F816-72B8-493D-964B-586849C653C7.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 133
@Ingelow25 I've had that problem with micro swords. Did you try and go in there with a tweezer and anchor them individually? Alternatively covering the area with some coarse nylon mesh until the roots develop might work.

Welcome to UKAPS :)

Cheers,
Michael

HC can be a PITA to keep looking good without it lifting up from carpet, it needs CO2 to be optimum and stable IMO, good flow in tank and with good light levels to keep it growing well looking lush and regular trimming so it never gets very think. I found as soon as it looks lush its time for a trim. Also I have read folks can grow it in low tech tanks
MC is is little more forgiving.
How long has the Eleocharis acicularis been in the tank as its root system doesn't look very well developed also
Mine after 5 week DSM
1632844441958.png

If the Eleocharis acicularis has been in same time as HC I would diagnose fluctuating CO2 without enough flow/tank turnover

I would lift the HC carpet and replant only the good bits with roots, first I would advise doing a pH profile and optimise flow in the tank to make sure the CO2 is getting pushed down to the substrate level

HC can be a PITA to keep looking good without it lifting up from carpet, it needs CO2 to be optimum and stable IMO, good flow in tank and with good light levels to keep it growing well looking lush and regular trimming so it never gets very think. I found as soon as it looks lush its time for a trim. Also I have read folks can grow it in low tech tanks
How long has the Eleocharis acicularis been in the tank as its root system doesn't look very well developed also
Mine after 5 week DSM
View attachment 174818
If the Eleocharis acicularis has been in same time as HC I would diagnose fluctuating CO2 without enough flow/tank turnover

I would lift the HC carpet and replant only the good bits with roots, first I would advise doing a pH profile and optimise flow in the tank to make sure the CO2 is getting pushed down to the substrate level
Thank you very much. The hair grass has been in for several months And as you say - doesn’t look anything like yours! In terms of testing the water flow / co2 injection - shall I try moving the drop checker to different heights and locations in the tank, or are there different techniques to test this?

Mine after 5 week DSM
View attachment 174818

Seconded. Hc is a plant I usually have good luck with but it really needs flow/co2 to be 10/10 so much so I often use it as an indicator species - if it looks gank then I need to look at what’s going on with my co2/flow.

Secondly, I would trim extremely hard once in a while as a big reset when I let it go too far and if the co2 is fine it comes back great after 6 weeks or so. Best/more diligent approach is to trim a little, a lot sometimes as often as 1 little trim a week, this will keep it low while keeping it also dense, long term maint (as much as a year ime) can be done this way without needing to do a big reset trim.

Hi. I guy I know recommended draining the tank and growing it slightly emergent till it got its roots down.

I am about 8 months into my first tank. I have an HC “Cuba” carpet on a ADA Amazonia substrate. I started with a lower tech setup, but the HC wasn’t growing well. I added CO2 injection 3 weeks ago which has really helped with the health of the plants and growth.
I am having issues though where the clumps of hc keep lifting up And the roots aren’t settling in.
View attachment 174815I have tried to bury the plants, continually replant them, tried weighing the plants down with the stone shards and snail shells etc. However, the plants dont stay in position long enough for the root systems to develop.
Are there any tips that anyone can offer on how to deal with this?
Hi
Large clumps will be very difficult to keep down.You need to split them and replant some of them.Plants don't look at their best but the CO2 has been in place only 3 weeks they may need a little adjustment(recovery)before they take off.I will suggest to trim off the worse bits and replant the ones in better condition.
Also make sure your ferts addition matches the CO2 injected tank requirements so you are not limiting the plants
Regards Konstantin

Back