• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape First timer here.

dougbraz

Hiya - just starting out with aquascaping, trying to keep to a sensible budget (initially, at least!), so not C02 straight off the bat. You can obviously muck around for weeks with hardscaping, but you have to stop somewhere and start with the rest, right? So...any thoughts on any humongous mistakes that are being made here? My tank is 60X50X40cm, running off an Eheim Ecco 2232 filter. 36W Nemo lights. LONG term plans call for C02, but not right now. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6930.jpg
    IMG_6930.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_6928.jpg
    IMG_6928.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 188
The slope on the right might start sliding when wet, what planting do you have in mind? I do like the look of it already :)

Thanks Wolf6! So, the slope on BOTH sides might well slide down (the left hand side is about the same height)? Thanks for the heads up. At the back I was looking for a curtain of long tall grass type plants (no idea what they might be called - still learning) or something like that. Living in the tropics (Brazil) allows for possibly some more exotic types of plants that are local, but I have to see what the shop has available or can get for me. Appreciate the feedback.

Hey Dougbraz, nice hardscape! Have you tried set up obliquely the left side back stone to pointing the left corner? I m just wondering, how it looks like if that stone is a bit higher. But I like this way too

Thanks Yanee - yes I have tried moving it about a bit and have settled on this - so far...let's see when the plants come - things may change!

The trouble is, as a newbie, it is always subject to change! Still cycling, two weeks in..
9d54cbd39eae632e972195ebfe9cc04f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I wish i knew! I have asked for the list that I bought at the shop and they have yet to send it to me.
A couple of anubias, a cryptocorne, some valisneria spiralis. Need the name of back left, crispy one at left and the grassy stuff at front - such an amateur!

To be honest, I wish i knew! I have asked for the list that I bought at the shop and they have yet to send it to me.
A couple of anubias, a cryptocorne, some valisneria spiralis. Need the name of back left, crispy one at left and the grassy stuff at front - such an amateur!

Far left corner looks like Limnophilla sessiliflora.

Thank you! Googling it, it seems to be eleocharis parvula cos of the little fuzzy tips. Cheers. Much appreciated.

I think the one with wiggly tips
051b7c4be26c5fdfe3098fd6caf09e03.jpg

at the left window is Microsorum pteropus windelov.

A few drops of Seachem Excel, but the ph is going off the charts (low) so am stopping. Am only 2 weeks in, so ammonia cycle still running.

Back