• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First timer looking for pro tips!

Knappy1

Seedling
Hi all,

I’ve been interested in fishkeeping/aquascaping for a few years now and am constantly lurking on forums and YouTube trying to learn new things.

I’ve recently moved into my own house and now have the space to set up my first tank! I’ve seen some of the amazing scapes in the competitions and want to dabble in my own designs (not expecting competition results).

I’ve got basic questions that I’d like advice on ranging from equipment to stocking so just wanted to know the forum etiquette. Do threads need to be specific or should they combine all the questions to avoid multiple threads. Do you encourage/discourage finding answers in old posts and reviving those discussions?

Nice to meet you all!

Hi and welcome to UKAPS. You can post specific questions in the relevant forums. But what tends to work best is if you start a journal and post all your ideas, comments, observations and questions etc there.
All the info will be in one place then and anyone offering help will have it all to hand and give the best and most relevant advice ;)

Welcome to the forum. My advise would be find a good source of information or a YouTuber for example that you like and follow their methods. So many different styles and techniques. Most important is to understand the cycling of the tank and suitable inhabitants. So many threads on here about incorrect stocking and it ends up in tears when people get advised to take back fish as not suitable. Do you know what type of fish you want to keep as this can have a major effect on they type of scape you design. Especially if the fish like to dig.

As above, especially starting journal before as Tim suggests ' all ideas in one place', ask lots of questions - especially the stupid ones just to check. Take your time - I took three months from starting to getting first plants planted as a DSM ( Dry Start Method)

Welcome to the forum :)

Cant add a lot to whats said but IMOE as a hobbyist take your time dont spend£££s to start with maybe start with a simple set up get feel for growing easy plants. The tutorials on here and George Farmers YT aquascaping basics 🙂
Starting at easy low tech end cost less as well, going high tech big tank and has its perils and cost, the perils and cost cant be minimised by lots of reading around and asking lots of questions.

Thanks for the welcome and initial advice. I’ve started a journal here Getting started, exploring the unknown
Sorry if it’s a bit long and asks a lot from people to contribute with advice, just don’t want to make any school boy errors early on that might jeopardise my experience and enjoyment

Back