• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish are throwing a fit

Arana

I seem to have a problem in my 80cm planted goldfish tank, the fish seem to be taking it in turns to have a fit! which involves zooming around the tank bashing into things, trying to jump out and then laying listlessly on the bottom for about 10mins before carrying on like nothing has happened :wideyed: i've not come accross this in all my years of keeping fish, so if anybody has any ideas what it is and what i can do about it then please help.

I have done a quick water change but it has not helped.

When CO2 is too high fish don't always gasp at the surface. They appear 'drunk' due to lack of O2 to the brain. Different fish show more signs of this than others.

Could be the warmer weather and higher tank temperatures that have just tipped the balance for you. I'd reduce the CO2 level a tad and get some good surface movement going.

James

stray voltage and many neurological disease are other possibilities

bacterial meningitis
certain medications
myxobolus - whirling disease

beware that changing pH with higher CO2 could also affect the ionised ammonia levels, usually an issue when pH is high which wouldnt be the case unless your CO2 is on and off with solenoid?

andrew

Back