• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish catching tips?

ForestDave

Hi.
I have 3 gouramis which seem to have become sick after eating some frozen food. The food may have gone bad as the freezer partially defrosted a day or 2 before I fed them. Either that or my practice of lobbing the blocks in straight from the freezer may be the issue as the gouramis really went for it that day, chewing big frozen chunks off of it. I've chucked the food just to be safe but now I have 3 gouramis hiding in the rocks which are not feeding or showing their faces. I'm worried they will die in there and I wouldn't know and then they may infect the other fish.
-Am I worrying too much and should I just let them recover?
-Are there any good fish catching tips as they are still really fast and difficult to catch with plants and rocks everywhere?
Thanks
Dave

Fish traps (only works when they are feeding :(
Removing as much water as you can
Removing as much decor as you can

How long have they been hiding?

I wouldn't think the food was the issue, I have fed frozen that was god knows how old and have chucked frozen blocks in many times with no issue. Depending on how long they haven't been eating and any other symptoms I would be inclined to leave and monitor for a few days rather than stress them more trying to catch them until I was a bit more sure what was wrong.

Two nets is my preferred method, or one net and a stick. You just need to shepherd the fish into a convenient corner.

I've not really thought about it before but as gourami are labyrinth fish you might have a problem feeding frozen blocks. If you do a little search you will find that they can suffer if kept in an open top tank in a cool room because they are breathing this cold air in when they are used to a high humid warm environment naturally. Cold air can damage the labyrinth organ so it could be the same with eating something cold if gulping it from the surface.

I'd be inclined to leave them in place. Up the water changes as that will dilute anything in the water, add air, because it never hurts to make sure fish have as much oxygen as required, don't accidentally overfeed if they aren't eating. Check the heater/pumps etc. to make sure everything is working normally - even lower flow can change fish behaviour.

Thank all!
They've been hiding for 4 days. About 30mins after typing this post they all came out for a swim around so they must have got wind of me about to attempt a capture! They looked strong but weren't interested in feeding. I'll do a water change and keep an eye on them. The tank is covered so hopefully the surface air is nice and humid for them and I'll ease off the frozen blocks for a bit.
I really appreciate the advice!!
Thank you.

Back