• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish choice for an iwagumi

Mark Evans

Expert
Any thoughts what I could put in here?

fish-choice.jpg

aparently glass cats are awesome in large numbers.

I plan to get more to add to my 2 once I have the 300lt up and running.

Lovely fish :)

Rummynose, rummynose, more rummynose, for those rummynose tetras that you should put in there.

Looking nice a full already Mark. Good planting.

jay said:
Rummynose, rummynose, more rummynose, for those rummynose tetras that you should put in there.

I must admit, I'm going down the road of ...tetras also. :D

After owning platinum tetras, I was thinking those.

Krish's Bettas said:
or a pair of Rams.

now a shoal of those would be amazing. I love them, but I do feel that maybe a tighter shoaling fish would be needed.

samc said:
i love penguin tetras

another great fish, and under used. Amano uses them frequently

I'd say Ember tetras would look really good due to their colour and size, but maybe a bit too colourful-too eye catching which I think might detract from the scape. Vietnamese Cardinals would look stunning I think but they tend to stick the to upper levels. I always think Diamond Tetras are underated-the colours on them are stunning when theyre older, but they tend to be quite dull when they're young and overpriced when they're bigger with good colouring

Graeme Edwards said:
Emerald eye Rasbora, they shoal like no other. Though make sure you put a lid, they do like to jump.

I'd be right in saying, you had these in your last huge cube? nice fish also!

but would they suit a scape with pretty big stones. Maybe the fish ought to be relative to the size of the stones?

lemon tetra size or a bit bigger?

I'm green when it comes to fish :D

I think with enough, they would be amazing. Have you ever seen sardine balls in wildlife documentary's? Well, they shoal as tight as that. And yes, I used a 500 strong shoal in there.

Your scape is long and shallow? Then you should match that with the fish. Rummy nose are ideal, though not tight a shoaler, they have the red to catch the eye.
Tetra's dont suet Iwagumis in my mind, they are to relaxed and drift apart, only coming together when startled. Rasbora as always on the edge, so stick together.

What about half beaks, now they would be cool. Odd, but cool.

They need space to swim, and when they get it, vrooom and double vrooooom. 8)

If this was a big tank, I think a shoal of Flying foxes would look amazing, I love those fish, even when they get big. Stunners.

I love the idea of a Shoal of Siamese algae eaters. Need a good amount to stop any aggression, but you have the space. Any sort of torpedo shape fish will work well here.

How about some Rasbora daniconius?

We used these in a 120cm iwagumi I set up for Jeremy Gay/PFK a few years ago. There a good size and shoal brilliantly. Not too common either, so you may have to get your shop to order them in especially.

4c4f04159060e.jpg

FYI note the two main stones here; they're now in my latest Project Scree Iwagumi, but postioned differently (less phallic-like)... :thumbup:

Actually, the more I look at my set up with a black background, uber clear water, brilliant greens, the more I reckon penguin tetras would look stunning against the black, upper space of the tank.

Back