• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fish dead why?

samc

yesterday i noticed my co2 was running low so turned it up at little and this morning the co2 was empty as expected but i had 3 dead noen tetras (4 others were fine) i dont no if this is because of the co2. I tested the water and found everything to be normal and there was a oily film on the surface does anyone know what happened as i dont think it was the co2.
hope someone can help

you may have gasses them, but by the time you woke up the co2 had stopped and had dropped to a good level.

i have an oily film in one of my tanks, i put an airstone in there and it clears it, but then after it has been off for a few hours it only returns. since then, i have my spraybar creating surface turbulence and it has been fine, i think it is to do with stagnant surnface water.

Sorry to hear about your losses.

I would say the likely culprit was CO2 overdosing. From your post it sounds like the only factor that has changed in your set up, especially if it 'tests normal'.

Also, some pressurised CO2 systems will 'dump' the remaining gas from a near empty cylinder relatively quickly.

You mention an oily film. That may be a result of insufficient surface agitation, further exacerbating CO2 toxity. High CO2 in combination with low O2 is deadly.

Consider investing in a CO2 drop checker - http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm

Back