• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish first aid kit

Kalum

So after my betta coming down with Fin rot and my nearest decent LFS about 20miles away with opening times that don't suit me till weekends it made sense that I get a stock of the basic meds to treat the most common fish diseases and infections (other than the stabdard aquarium salts that most would have)

Also its a chance to get the best tried and tested meds rather than be forced to use some random unknown brand for convenience. So far I've used and heard good things about the Esha range of meds

I know some of these might be a waste with expiation dates but most are pretty inexpensive and would rather have them to hand if/when an issue arises so I can help the fish as quick as possible

Ich, white spot, Fin rot..?

Any suggestions on what you would include and if there is a tried and tested brand then even better?

What can you get from Seachem?

They have some of the best fish meds on the hobby market as all are based upon efficacy in actual ornamental fish trials against actual fish pathogens

I prefer most of their line as they only add what’s necessary, eg, Prime conditions water but does not include any additives to “improve” fish skin etc (if fish can’t maintain their own “skin” integrity, they won’t be around long regardless of any of the additives so beloved to Hagen)
If fish do have scrapes etc, then, again Seachem’s product includes a binding compound that has proven efficacy in veterinary fish trials (& not “aloe” or “PEG”)

Some “medications” lobbied to fish keepers have zero effect (proven in veterinary research trials) against fish pathogens, but do impact some water column bacteria :rolleyes:
so can still be marketed as (truthfully) reducing bacteria levels etc

Keeping medications on hand is well worth it, in general, try for cool,dark storage conditions - many fish meds have 1-2 year expiration dates (or longer, depending)

Note there are some medictations which are readily available as bird tx (though not allowed as fish preparations), eg
praziquantel
metronidazole
levamisole

If possible, pick up a copy of
The Manual of Fish Health
Dr Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell & Dr Neville Carrington
- this remains an excellent (factual) resource
While there are some “newer” pathogens & meds these days, most are not something easily dealt with at home anyway

Thanks alto and my thinking is by buying in advance means I can order online or get to my decent LFS without a rush and stock it so then I'll have access to anything

I love the seachem range as well and use prime, excel, matrix and purigen but don't know as much about their medication range if I'm honest so will have a look

Back