• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish fry in Riccia

johnnypy

I have masses of Riccia in my tank so decided to thin it out. Rather than throw it away I put it in my spare tank which is currently fishless. Looked in this morning and saw at least three small fry - growing them on to see what they are. I expect they'll be either neon rainbows or emperor tetras both of which spawn very frequently in my main tank.

In future I'll put any plant trimmings and Riccia in a tank for a few days to check if there may be fish in there.

nice one, they're most probably rainbows ;)

the tank they're in does have a cycled filter and heater, right?

Emporor tetra fry need a very low PH as they're black water fish and as such need lots of water changes, rainbows are the exact opposite and respond badly to water changes why fry.

Thomas McMillan said:
nice one, they're most probably rainbows ;)

the tank they're in does have a cycled filter and heater, right?

I keep this small tank ticking over all the time as a quarantine tank - I have never put new fish straight into my main tank. This has helped me to avoid disease outbreaks for many years.

Since I've had heavily planted tanks quite a few fish fry have survived in my main tank, some less welcome than others! So far I've had many Ancistrus - never saw them spawn, the 1cm long babies just appeared, Emperor tetras, Lemon tetras, cherry and chequer barbs (all welcome) and dozens of blue platies (less welcome). I bought three blue platies about five or six years ago. They have produced several generations of what must be very inbred offspring. Luckily my LFS will take them although I have taken them out of the main tank into a spare 60cm.

Back