• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SA_Aquatic

Seedling
" We don't like the way the fish poop look, it is not pretty, can you do something about it!" We received this comment from one of our customers.

The fishes are parrot cichlids.

Anyone got any advices?

Some options:

stop feeding the fish - no more poop but the cost of replacing them every week:greedy:
Fish diapers - then you just have to catch them:drowning:
Poop coloured substrate - crappy suggestion I know :D

Tell them the fish will stop pooping when they do. If that doesn't get through to them they are too stupid to keep fish:facepalm:

Or tell them to buy a gravel vacuum and if they wish they could use that to clean up after there fish, kind of like doggy bags for a dog.
I never see any fish mess in my tank, maybe on a leaf now and then, do they have substrate? as if it was bare bottom I could understand.
Although I don't understand why you would contact the shop asking for help with fish mess unless it was a prank. :lol:

Or tell them to buy a gravel vacuum and if they wish they could use that to clean up after there fish, kind of like doggy bags for a dog.
I never see any fish mess in my tank, maybe on a leaf now and then, do they have substrate? as if it was bare bottom I could understand.
Although I don't understand why you would contact the shop asking for help with fish mess unless it was a prank. :lol:
We service their fish tank, there is a super good filtration system. It is just they don't like it when the fish poops. :) . I suppose I could go with James O suggestion!

Maybe they just have coprophobia. I guess we all have our fears. Still when I watch my fish eat/swim I never see or witness them mess. I know its different when I watch my goldfish/koi in the summer and I must admit its not pleasant, but what can you do.

Good luck, hopefully they can learn to enjoy there fish even though they mess a lot. :D

I'd of told them it all disappears at night.:D Or I've asked them not to flush.:)

Maybe they just have coprophobia. I guess we all have our fears. Still when I watch my fish eat/swim I never see or witness them mess. I know its different when I watch my goldfish/koi in the summer and I must admit its not pleasant, but what can you do.

Good luck, hopefully they can learn to enjoy there fish even though they mess a lot. :D
when we had larger fish, they would always be halfway through squeezing one out when anyone came round the house. Swimming around with it hanging off them dirty little so and soes. :)

I rarely witness my fish poo until I attempt to do some photography, then the rummynoses will make a dash toward the fish when they're doing their business thinking its food, not pleasant.

Hi all,
I've never kept Parrot Cichlids, (or any larger fish for a long time), but I think if your fish have long strings of poo hanging from them it is often to do with diet. I feed a lot of live food, and that definitely removes it as a problem.

I think if you keep something like a big Panaque (L190 etc. <http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=151>) that is going to process a lot of wood whatever happens then I think regular siphoning is your best hope.

cheers Darrel

I keep several large waste producing Pleco's, and have found that by mounting spraybar or return on back glass ,aimed toward's front glass, that debri on the substrate get's pushed toward's the rear glass =cleaner front substrate areas, assuming good flow from filter's.
Have also found that dark colored substrate is more forgiving than white sand or light colored substrate.
Hate to think what these folk's might think about a pet dog,or cat,or a child which leaves doogy on floor,yard,or diaper.

Back