• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish recommendation?

Apologies if I'm missing something here but don't you mean 25mm per 4.54L (1" a gallon).

I just read this thread and I've only heard of the 1 inch per gallon rule as well. It used to be 1" per gallon for tropical and coldwater and 1" per 4 gallons for marine. I know lots of people find this a very outdated method though.

That's the one I usually use wookii.

The old inch per gallon is outdated now and makes no allowance for fish size, filtration (including) plants, or water changes, you could also have an argument about US or UK gallons.

Not trying to preach to anybody as I overstock, I have about 70" of fish (when fully grown) in a 240L tank. I'll argue with myself that I can possibly squeeze a couple more fish in it, but definitely can't put 240" of fish in there.

Some times it depends on the tank layout too, swimming space, broken sight lines etc. I'm at the stocking limit of my tank according to that calculator, but I just like fish too much, and it doesn't look overcrowded.

1” per gallon has been around since we only had angle iron tanks and most people only had undergravel filters then, we have moved on a lot since I was a boy

Just compare what the turnover is now on most aquascapes (x5 is usually minimum accepted these days I personally go x10 with filters not wave makers) not to mention how much plant matter there is to strip nutrients out of the water column
Hands up who adds Ferts regularly because the fish don’t provide enough

When I say 25mm per litre that’s for small slender fish not deep bodied fish like Discus or Oscars etc

You have to work out roughly how many neons = 1 fully grown discus

Please remember We’re talking about advice for an accomplished aquarist not a newbie

If you ever get the chance to visit a fish keeper who has his own fish house and breeds fish then do it
Their fish grow quickly, are strong and healthy and are packed in to the tanks especially the young fish, probably uses air driven sponge filters or their own diy filters, feed lots of live foods as much as they can
They will do a 50% WC each week

At the end of the day it’s a personal choice if the tank has large areas of no fish and the owner wants to add a few to fill that space then they can

I’m only saying that in my opinion 225mm of fish could be added safely
That’s only 7 fully grown neon tetra size fish (giving them 30mm at adult size)

You also have to take the foot print of the tank into consideration, it’s a standard cube not a tall narrow tank

I expected aquascapers to be on the light side or even under stocking their tanks as the fish generally are not the reason for having an aquascape they are more of an accessory

Where I’m the opposite Fish first, decorations 2nd. Even if I want to breed something which would require a specific layout then it’s suitable decorated to suit the fish

1” per gallon has been around since we only had angle iron tanks and most people only had undergravel filters then, we have moved on a lot since I was a boy

I'll agree with that but don't think we've moved on to the extent that you're suggesting.

When I say 25mm per litre that’s for small slender fish not deep bodied fish like Discus or Oscars etc

That's good because those types of fish probably need between 5~10 gallons per fish.

At the end of the day it’s a personal choice if the tank has large areas of no fish and the owner wants to add a few to fill that space then they can

It is a personal choice, but don't pretend it isn't overstocking.

I’m only saying that in my opinion 225mm of fish could be added safely

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with it.

As I said in an earlier post, I overstock and probably run at 1.1" per US gallon.

Edit: Fish not inch..

Last edited:
very rare chases them
They tend to get more aggressive when they have a bubble nest, mine usually builds his at the same end of the tank where I put the food in where there is less flow, I put the food in there so it sinks for the corys and doesn't get sucked in the filter so quick and had chance to sink to the bottom. I switch ends when he's nesting or break his nest up to chill him out. In your cube you will probably have to break the nest as the fish have nowhere else to go. I can't see your picture btw mate, just me?
They will do a 50% WC each week
I doubt they do that at any of the stores round my way even the big ones. Not sure if it is because being business their water is metered to save money but assuming they are using tapwater and water comes out the tap round here below 100 TDS when I test the water that's in the bag of fish I bought it can be in the 600 range. I would guess if I nitrate tested it it would be off the chart due to stock levels. There's also no measurable nitrate coming out the tap and only 5ppm tops on the water report.
I would guess they don't use RO as this wastes even more water and there would be little point in buffering up to Malawi or Tang levels as there's very rarely any in there so would guess it's on closed massive system of small tanks inter connected and run off one filter system.

Hi all,
I know <"every-one is going to differ">, but I have different method for stocking density, it just goes:
when you stand in front of the tank can you see plenty of the fish?
If you can? <"You have too many"> (or not enough plants for that stocking density).
...........When I say to people that I didn't know I had Corydoras hastatus left, and that I hadn't seen them for months, but when I had to move the tank I found they'd spawned and I had considerably more than I started with, I think they think I'm either lying, deluded or very short sighted.......
The advantage of the "understocked" approach is that you have some built in spare filtration capacity, it doesn't matter when your fish grow, or multiply in number, you have some wriggle room.

I also keep a "spare tank", it is the same as all the other tanks, but it doesn't have <"any permanent residents">.

cheers Darrel

might move some more shrimp in there since I have loads in the 60cm, can't even remember the species name, I got them of Chris Lukhaup (ShrimpKing) at Vivarium in Holland back in 2012 on the UKAPS Roadtrip, they were wild caught and at the time a new species not available in the market :) they been breeding and doing well since (they are just not that exciting).
photos (Hint)

I’m rather fond of plain tiger shrimp, raccoon shrimp etc - and a dull looking shrimp apparently fares better with gently interested shrimp hunters

I never understand these one inch rules no matter the volume specified per inch.
Yes but until those recommendations were edited/redacted, the statement did include mention of slender bodied fish such as neon tetras etc, and that deeper bodied fish required much lower stocking densities etc etc

Just look at the aquarium packaging - any failure of the product to deliver should result in immediate refunds and compensation
(note that ADA Aquariums arrive in plain white wrappers :cool: )

Back