• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room, breed for profit and licencing.

I had a 30l with approximately 100 blue velvet shrimp in. I sold them all in 3 days at £2 each or 5 for £10. I needed to get rid of them quickly and one guy said they were a bargain but you also get loads of "yur mate they breed like rabbits. I'll give you 50p for the lot and I'm doing you a favour" type time wasters contacting you.
I think if you had a well insulated shed, with a container for each colour strain that was as large as you could fit in the space (I'm thinking IBC 1000l as the larger the volume of water the more temperature stable it will be). You don't really need lighting. An air driven sponge filter wouldn't cost much to run. If you want to continue production in the winter, heating would be your biggest cost but if you don't mind slowing down production over the winter you could reduce heating and feeding slightly as neocaridina are quite tolerant of cooler temps. Making your own food saves a massive amount of money but takes time.
As others have said I don't think there's much money to be made especially when you factor in your time. All of the stock produced abroad have the benefit of higher ambient temps (among others) which massively removes/reduces costs.
Having said all of that, I intend to do something similar eventually, just for the enjoyment of doing it and to supplement future fish/shrimp purchases. I'll probably just trade them for store credit as I got fed up of people messing me about and haggling.

Best of luck with it.

I had a 30l with approximately 100 blue velvet shrimp in. I sold them all in 3 days at £2 each or 5 for £10. I needed to get rid of them quickly and one guy said they were a bargain but you also get loads of "yur mate they breed like rabbits. I'll give you 50p for the lot and I'm doing you a favour" type time wasters contacting you.
I think if you had a well insulated shed, with a container for each colour strain that was as large as you could fit in the space (I'm thinking IBC 1000l as the larger the volume of water the more temperature stable it will be). You don't really need lighting. An air driven sponge filter wouldn't cost much to run. If you want to continue production in the winter, heating would be your biggest cost but if you don't mind slowing down production over the winter you could reduce heating and feeding slightly as neocaridina are quite tolerant of cooler temps. Making your own food saves a massive amount of money but takes time.
As others have said I don't think there's much money to be made especially when you factor in your time. All of the stock produced abroad have the benefit of higher ambient temps (among others) which massively removes/reduces costs.
Having said all of that, I intend to do something similar eventually, just for the enjoyment of doing it and to supplement future fish/shrimp purchases. I'll probably just trade them for store credit as I got fed up of people messing me about and haggling.

Best of luck with it.

I think if i take it very slowly and only use the money I make from the snails, shrimp, etc to expand then it would slowly scale up over time9probably a long time though). Time is something I have a lot of however as I am only 16 and often find myself quite bored, so I though I might as well do something which i enjoy and can make me even just a little amount of money as that's always a bonus.

Also, if I can start producing plants aswell this would also contribute to profits. I have been trying to produce stems in a 90l tub however they aren't growing as fast as they are in my tank and after trimming them twice, I notice they start to turn brown. So now I have dropped the water level in the tub all the way down to just above the plants and I'm waiting for them to grow emersed as I think I may have more luck with that. Currently I have water wisteria, limnophila sessiliflora, ludwigia repens (green) and a few others. Over the course of the year I have sold 25 bunches (of 5 stems) at £1.12 profit each, every time I get these back in stock they sell out very fast and the same goes for the bladder snails I have sold.

Last edited:
[...] think you will find some of your LFS will be happy to take some [...], though only expect about one third of the retail price.
If our local premier branch of well a known aquatics-only chain is anything to go by, ⅓ of their retail price could still be nearly full whack at others in the area. (Peacock Gudgeon £20ea in one LFS, and £8 in another.)
It's difficult not to consider breeding as a side hustle.

If our local premier branch of well a known aquatics-only chain is anything to go by, ⅓ of their retail price could still be nearly full whack at others in the area. (Peacock Gudgeon £20ea in one LFS, and £8 in another.)
It's difficult not to consider breeding as a side hustle.
I'd not bought fish for a few years and it's amazing to see how much they've gone up. 2-3 inch Ancistrus selling for £20. That said I've seen breeding pairs being selling for £60-100, which considering how easy they are to breed seems ridiculous.

I've seen this loads in all my LFS, been wanting some bristlenose plecos for a while now but they are going for £14+ for just one and i'm not prepared to pay that much. There are many local hobbyists I've seen in the area selling them for just £2, so if I was to buy any I would definitely be buying from them.

Tom a chap l know who has Discus fish house in one his fish breeding tales told me of one of his first breeding projects Bronze and Peppered Corys in the eighties he used to make trips to Tib St Manchester to supply a couple of aquarium stores, Tib St was a very narrow road full of Pet shops Aquarium stores. Hes says what he got paid was minimal not exactly a buisness at all more of a hobby exercise.
These days a lot less shops l imagine would take in fish maybe better chance with shrimp A online presence were customers know and return would be probably more profitable

Back