• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish size question

timseren

Guys, maybe someone with experience can help me understand the size for these fish - as information varies quite a bit.. Aquarium is 90*45*45 so I prefer to have main fish around 4-5 cm in size. Have narrowed the list to two contenders:

Hyphessobrycon Eos (should be ~4cm)
Hemigrammus Rodwayi (size varies from 3.5 to 5.5cm)

Maybe someone has / had these in their tanks and could provide accurate information? Thank you.

Guys, maybe someone with experience can help me understand the size for these fish - as information varies quite a bit.. Aquarium is 90*45*45 so I prefer to have main fish around 4-5 cm in size. Have narrowed the list to two contenders:

Maybe someone has / had these in their tanks and could provide accurate information? Thank you.
I recon you’ll be looking around the same size for both, they’re both very similar species. I recon a lot of fish which are sold as rodwayi are similar species a lot of the time anyway. They’re are many small tetras that look similar, like Eos, Saizi

What's the biggest fish that you can keep at home?
Farlowella acus is the biggest I have kept in a 90 cm aquarium. Mine, called "stick fish" is very old and is quick large. I'm hoping he will get a Guinness World Record. I have tried Trichogaster leeri (Pearl Gourami) and Crossocheilus oblongus (Siamese Algae Eater) and found that they both prefer far larger aquariums of around 150 cm. I have been tempted to replace my living room floor with a pool and stepping stones, or a mesh footbridge through to the kitchen, toilet and fireplace, with some sort of suspended wooden swinging seats in the event that guests come around. I could probably even have a beach at one end and a pet parrot. One thing I would like to do one day is to have a continuous shallow aquarium running around the walls of every room so that fish have a bit of an orienteering course as they swim from room to room.

Haven’t kept them but ‘seriously fish’ website is usually pretty reliable and it quotes HE at 4cm and HR at 5.5cm as maximum sizes.

Not sure if it's still going l remember the article,amazingly he did maintenance by entering through a floorboard trap in the living room as l remember

He closed it down when he moved his tropical fish on but now runs it with native river fish he caught himself. There was a writeup in pfk a while back and it also had his amazing tanganyika tank.

This is the first link I found with some pictures

As to what is the largest fish you can keep in an aquarium, I've seen people keeping arapaima, goonch and other monsters but it's not really fair or ideal. I like that the ukaps members have dogged the question a little and kept to very sensible sizes, big fish rarely look good in tanks.

Back