• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish species

Heagney

Has anyone kept the species below?
If so what kind of conditions and what other fish were they kept with etc

Redline apisto
Ram
Celestial pearl Danio
Strawberry rasbora
Fork tail blue eye

Looking at options for my community tank

When you say the forktail blue eye are you referring to P Furcata?
I currently have a Bolivian Ram in one of my tanks, he is kept wth lots of Corys and Cardinals and amano shrimps. He appears to be happy even though the water is slightly on the hard side. Rams like any cichlid will at times be terrortorial but do have great little personalities. Mine eats frozen bloodworm and will happily eat this from my planting tongs.

I was considering getting a couple Rams as the main fish with a school of celestial pearl danios or strawberry rasbora or something. Was just concerned the Rams might eat them?
Yeh that's what I mean, they look weird/kinda cool though the furcata, they would be the main fish as well.
Kinda looking for a nice fish (3 or 4) to go with a nice wee school of something else for my tank. Ain't massive at 63l though, pics of it in another post on here

If you add the smaller fish first and buy the Rams as small Juveniles they will be fine. For that sized tank I would suggest 1 pair of Cichlids would be more than enough.
Rummy nose tetras or cardinals are always good but best kept in groups of 6 or more as they will then shoal together. You could also consider some hatchet fish if you wanted some that swim high, although I do think P Furcata would look really nice and are an interesting fish.
If you wanted a smaller alternative to the Rams try Apistos or maybe even peacock gobies.

Careful with Rams and shrimps. We added Rams to our tank and they systematically hunted and killed 15 Amano shrimp in 3 days :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you manage to get Amanos at a good size they should be fine. I wouldn't keep small shrimp species with my Ram. My shrimps are now the size of my Corys but my Rams never shown an interest in them even when they were small.Guess we all have different experiences.

Exactly what I thought... My Amanos were very large and still got hounded to death. It was very strange and took me actually seeing a ram doing it to believe it could have been them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my Amanos for over a year so wouldn't fancy that happening! I was actually thinking about the red line apisto as they look pretty similar like.
Only thing is most of them don't seem to like much flow but the fluval does disturb the water quite a bit even turned down

Back