• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish struggling at surface

What is 'Band'?

JPC
It’s an app used to buy and sell fish or shrimp or anything aquatic. It was started up after fb put a stop to selling on its platform. It has regional groups for you to join, chat to people, post what you have for sale etc. I’ve bought amano shrimp, crystal shrimp on there and sold some nerites.

It’s an app used to buy and sell fish or shrimp or anything aquatic. It was started up after fb put a stop to selling on its platform. It has regional groups for you to join, chat to people, post what you have for sale etc. I’ve bought amano shrimp, crystal shrimp on there and sold some nerites.

Hi @Richard40

Many thanks for that. I'm not a FB user so that probably explains why I'd never heard of it. But, it does sound interesting.

JPC

Couldn't find it on Malaysian AppStore :(

It sounds like the CO₂ issue is largely resolved, but for future reference it’s always a good idea to turn your CO₂ off completely prior to adding new fish and leave it off for the rest of the day. And of course you’ll be keeping your lights low as well. Your new fish will probably acclimatise to your normal level of CO₂ but to start with they’re probably not accustomed to any CO₂ at the shop they’ve come from. So increase CO₂ and lighting gradually over a few days.

Also it’s worth noting that if your fish are gasping at the surface, an immediate 50% water change would by my first action. This will probably resolve the issue within minutes, then aeration with an air stone will continue the improvement.

I've got shelves full of books telling me how fish should behave, but I haven't managed to teach the little buggers to read yet.

Hi @sparkyweasel

That's brilliant! Gave me such a good laugh. :lol: I know someone who is a cartoonist. I'll ask him if he could draw a cartoon depicting a fishkeeper trying to teach his/her fish to read. He's a long-standing member of my local fish club - so he'll like the idea. I'll try to contact him - but don't hold your breath as this could take a while!

JPC

It sounds like the CO₂ issue is largely resolved, but for future reference it’s always a good idea to turn your CO₂ off completely prior to adding new fish and leave it off for the rest of the day. And of course you’ll be keeping your lights low as well. Your new fish will probably acclimatise to your normal level of CO₂ but to start with they’re probably not accustomed to any CO₂ at the shop they’ve come from. So increase CO₂ and lighting gradually over a few days.

Good advice.

JPC

I found that with my tank I needed a high bubble rate to get my drop checker to turn lime green at lights on...

Hi @Richard40

I've just been looking at your tank layout. Although I can see your DC on the rear glass panel at the RHS, I can't see your CO2 injector. Is it an inline injector? Also, good flow is necessary with CO2 as it diffuses through water at an unacceptably-slow rate. If all your plants are swaying gently, that's a good sign. This is also very important if the DC is going to give a reliable indication of dissolved CO2. And, whilst the DC is an elegantly-simple design, it is inherently slow to respond to changes in CO2 concentration. We're talking an hour or more in some cases.

JPC

Yes it’s the CO2 art in-line injector. I’ve turned it down this morning and the lighting, so keeping an eye on the tank each hour.

My Co2 art drop checked takes a few hours to come up to colour. on 2 hours before lights. My ph profile is stable so I know it takes about three hours for drop checker to come up to speed. I spent best part of 2 weeks getting injection right. Make one small increase on the morning and leave it all day. Make change next day if necessary. Again, high injection and high surface agitation for me is working fantastic. Mitigates against sudden Co2 increase for whatever reason.
Nice tank!

My ph profile is stable so I know it takes about three hours for drop checker to come up to speed.

Hi @Ghettofarmulous & Everyone,

For anyone who owns a pH meter, it is a simple matter to convert this into an electronic version of the humble DC. It will respond within 10 minutes and settles in about 30 minutes. Just let me know and I'll be happy to explain how this can be achieved.

JPC

I like GBR's and have three, one to be removed as the others have paired off, in a 40 gallon breeder, and more in my larger Discus tank. I had a recent CO2 failure and all of the fish in the 40 were gasping at the surface. Turning the Twinstar Nano on and off repeatedly, and turning off the CO2, had the fish still is in distress but not gasping at the surface within 5 minutes or so. FWIW - I don't rely on my drop checkers on tanks that have discus and GBR's but instead regularly count bubbles which is the opposite of what I do with aquascaped tanks. Good luck with your aquarium.

Back