• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish varieties that can be put in a water garden?

shuwang

Seedling
Someone out there has got to know and have more experience with this than I do. I've looked all over the net and keep coming up with the same answer. Yeah, I know, Koi. We're kind of bored with the same old look though. We'd like to know what fish we can add to our fish/garden pond. Fish that can live outdoors and with Koi. Fish with color. Not plane old pond fish. Something with yellow would be great. Please Help!

Unless you've a huge pond I'd stick to goldfish. They are very trouble-free and you can get yellow goldfish. If it's fairly sheltered pond then you can also keep fancy goldfish outside (if you're worried about their hardiness bring them in for the winter) especially if you stick to more basic fancies such as fantails. Golden tench are nice and yellow too, but tend to be rather secretive. Golden Orfe look good when small or if they're kept well when old too, but in many ponds they become bent and twisted and darker as they age.

Most of the more unusual foreign fish are now much harder to source due to restrictions on importation so that they don't escape and establish populations in the wild.

Channel Catfish from N America, grow huge though. Lots of character. Always available at Wildwoods.

If you held on for the summer you could try white clouds, odessa barbs, peppered corries etc although they would need to come in in autumn\winter

Back