• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fishing - Starter gear and info?

Steve Smith

Hey guys. I know that there are several anglers on the forum (John and Dan for starters). I used to go fishing as a kid with my Brother and Grandad about 20 years ago but stopped after about 5 years. My Grandad passed away about 7 years ago, and my bro now lives in the states, but I'd like to maybe re-kindle it. I'm not sure if I have any of the old gear kicking about at home, so I was just having a look around online.

I just wondered what sort of gear I'd need to start getting into it again (recreationally). It's just an idea at the moment, but I like the idea of fishing again :)

Get your priorities right, Steve. You need an umbrella, some beer and a seat. Then you need some sort of fishing bat and some hooks and more beer. Its all good :)

What king of waters are there around you? There will probably be some ponds near you stocked with little carp so if you're going for general fishing there then I'd get a decent float rod for starters. You'll probably want to get a legering/feeder rod fairly soon probably too. Then a decent reel, line, floats, weights, hooklength line and hooks (you can buy these ready tied to start with) disgorger and forceps for safely unhooking (do not forget these!!!), a couple of bait boxes, umbrella, seat of some kind (you can use one you already have for starters before getting a fancy fishing designed one), couple of banksticks and rod rest heads to rest your rod on. Then when you get hooked some more you'll want a whole host of extra stuff!!!!

To ease the hassle some companies do kits with everything in you need. I have bought a package from a company called Bennets of Sheffield that was pretty good overall, but often the little bits and pieces in these kits are rubbish. The other alternative is to go to a decent tackle shop and ask them to help you out.

get your self a pole steve. its great fun.

i do allot of match fishing and i own a garbolino g995. its 18M long and cost me £2000. obviously you dont need anything that expensive, but you will need something quite strong. minimum spend £400

When I lived in Portugal I used to go fishing with just the real hooks, then nick some cotton thread from my mom and when by the river cut a bamboo cane, I used to catch about 60 fish in a couple of hours with that kit lol
Once I couldn't find a decent cane so I found a tree that fell over the river, on top of it with the cotton thread around my finger I managed to catch quite a few haha was funny to see my friends with all their new rods and stuff and never caught as many as I did hehehe good old days...

Seems like more hassle than a reel? Ok, it's simple comparitivley but having to restle sections of pole with a fish on the line... Having never done it, I could be wrong :lol:

Sounds like good times LD :) I guess I'm hankering for a bit of this :)

SteveUK said:
Seems like more hassle than a reel? Ok, it's simple comparitivley but having to restle sections of pole with a fish on the line... Having never done it, I could be wrong :lol:

Sounds like good times LD :) I guess I'm hankering for a bit of this :)

Yes i suppose it is, but you get used to it ;)

while holding the main rod with 1 hand, simply twist to release a section of the pole. You dont have to do 1 piece at a time, saying that you dont have to do any at all providing there is enough room behind you.

I have been brought up using a pole most of my life so i suppose that is why i prefer them/ find them easier. I bet i cant even remember how to use a reel :lol:

Back